Escape velocity of electron/positron pair

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of escape velocity and kinetic energy for a newly created electron/positron pair. It is determined that 2 times the electron mass is enough for the particles to escape from each other and reach infinity. The potential energy increases as the kinetic energy decreases, with the total energy of the system remaining constant. However, the exact amount of potential energy needed for escape is difficult to calculate due to the breakdown of the Coulomb law at small distances. It is also mentioned that quantum mechanics plays a role in the localization of particles in space.
As soon as you can assign a kinetic energy in a meaningful way, you also have a potential energy, and the sum of both is zero.
and the "bug" is in the coulomb potential function
No, it is the whole idea to describe the process with classical concepts.

Physics news on Phys.org
xortdsc said:
mass is either constant (invariant mass) or increases with kinetic energy (relativistic mass)
check this article: http://hepth.hanyang.ac.kr/~sjs/physics/mass.html

so how could it possibly pay the kinetic energy toll with its mass ? It makes no sense.

Does it make sense to you that a hydrogen atom (a system of interacting proton and electorn) has LESS mass than a separate electron and separate proton? If yes, then what's your problem with interacting electron and positron having similarly reduced masses?

most people here don't seem to understand what i want to do. I don't care how much kinetic energy a electron needs to escape a positron in proximity, but how much energy is needed to create them. Okay, then you keep repeating it is 2 times the (invariant) rest-mass of the electron, but if mass is invariant, where does the kinetic energy come from ?

"Invariant rest mass of electron" refers to a free electron, one which does not interact with other particles.

When e+e- pair is created, these particles ARE interacting (at least at first when they are close to each other). Their rest masses ARE NOT equal to "Invariant rest mass of electron", they are less than that. The remainder is in their kinetic energy.

mfb said:
No, it is the whole idea to describe the process with classical concepts.

if by "classical concepts" you mean position and momentum, how can any theory get rid of these ? Sure they are only approximations as in reality there are fluctuations all over the place. So what I mean by terms like position/momentum would be rather an average (to smooth the noise present) position/momentum.
Particles are localized in space, a bit unsharp, but still on average you can determine its position, right ?

nikkkom said:
Does it make sense to you that a hydrogen atom (a system of interacting proton and electorn) has LESS mass than a separate electron and separate proton? If yes, then what's your problem with interacting electron and positron having similarly reduced masses?

"Invariant rest mass of electron" refers to a free electron, one which does not interact with other particles.

When e+e- pair is created, these particles ARE interacting (at least at first when they are close to each other). Their rest masses ARE NOT equal to "Invariant rest mass of electron", they are less than that. The remainder is in their kinetic energy.

okay that would make sense. so it really is the case that as they approach, mass energy goes down and kinetic energy goes up by equal amounts (so rest mass is converted to kinetic energy) ? Upon annihilation mass would become zero and all energy is stored as kinetic energy which then radiates off as (mass-less) photons...
That would totally explain where the kinetic energy comes from. I can live with that :) Thanks for the enlightenment

Last edited:
xortdsc said:
if by "classical concepts" you mean position and momentum, how can any theory get rid of these ? Sure they are only approximations as in reality there are fluctuations all over the place. So what I mean by terms like position/momentum would be rather an average (to smooth the noise present) position/momentum.
Particles are localized in space, a bit unsharp, but still on average you can determine its position, right ?
I mean concepts like "position and momentum of particles". Quantum mechanics uses position and momentum operators. They are not simple values.
So what I mean by terms like position/momentum would be rather an average
Those averages don't help for strong interactions, or they can even be ill-defined.