Triangle ineuality, in need for help.

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
Sure, but that doesn't really help with the understanding of the problem. The key is to recognize that ||x|-|y|| is the maximum/absolute value of either |x|-|y| or |y|-|x|. From there, it's just a matter of using basic properties of absolute value and inequalities to show that |x-y| is greater-equal to both of those values.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
i need help in proving this essential ineuality which i don't know how to prove (quite trivial isn't it):
||x|-|y||<=|x-y|

i know that my first trick is this:
|x|=|(x-y)+y|<=|(x-y)|+|y|
|x|-|y|<=|x-y|
and iv'e been told to do so also with |y| and i get to this:
|y|-|x|<=|y-x|
and then adding both inequalities give us with this:
|x-y|>=-|y-x|

here I'm pretty much puzzled, so can you help, or add some insight or hints.

btw, I'm in a hurry so if i have angried anyone by posting here, sorry!

Physics news on Phys.org
You were almost there! You just needed this little step:
|y|-|x| <= |y-x|
=> |x|-|y| >= -|y-x| = -|x-y|

So you have -|x-y|<=|x|-|y|<=|x-y|.

Another way of seeing it is that ||x|-|y||=|x|-|y| or =|y|-|x|, depending on which is bigger , |x| or |y|.

loop quantum gravity said:
|x|-|y|<=|x-y|
and iv'e been told to do so also with |y| and i get to this:
|y|-|x|<=|y-x|
You don't have to add the inequalities. You've shown that for any x and y that |x-y| is greater-equal to both |y|-|x| and |x|-|y|. So isn't it obvious it's also greater-equal to the absolute value of |y|-|x|?

Galileo said:
You don't have to add the inequalities. You've shown that for any x and y that |x-y| is greater-equal to both |y|-|x| and |x|-|y|. So isn't it obvious it's also greater-equal to the absolute value of |y|-|x|?
apparently no, you need to prove up until you can say q.e.d or מ.ש.ל

devious_ said:
You were almost there! You just needed this little step:
|y|-|x| <= |y-x|
=> |x|-|y| >= -|y-x| = -|x-y|
So you have -|x-y|<=|x|-|y|<=|x-y|.
i think you also jumped too quickly here, don't you need to divise the options when |y-x|= y-x when y-x>=0 and |y-x|=x-y when y-x<0 and then you can see that -|y-x|=-|y-x|.

ok, i get it.
thank you.
a great site we have here, please don't change physicsforums. (-:

loop quantum gravity said:
apparently no, you need to prove up until you can say q.e.d or מ.ש.ל
Remember that ||x|-|y||=max(|x|-|y|,|y|-|x|)
Reconsider Galileo's post.

well, arlidno i think your notation is with regard to vector calclulus which iv'e seen your notation from, but my question is about vector calclulus and this is why i don't think it's related here, but you are the expert here not me.

cheers.

So are x and y vectors or numbers? (Note: It doesn't matter!)

Ok, if you have some number a that is larger than b and larger than -b, you don't think it's obvious it's also larger than |b|?

Same thing here: You have some number a=|x-y| larger than b=|x|-|y| and larger than -b=|y|-|x| (or equal ofcourse). So a>=|b| or |x-y|>=||x|-|y||

Also, reread arildno's post. Clearly |a| is either a or -a, whichever is positive and thus the mximum max(a,-a) of a and -a.

Galileo said:
So are x and y vectors or numbers? (Note: It doesn't matter!)
Ok, if you have some number a that is larger than b and larger than -b, you don't think it's obvious it's also larger than |b|?
Same thing here: You have some number a=|x-y| larger than b=|x|-|y| and larger than -b=|y|-|x| (or equal ofcourse). So a>=|b| or |x-y|>=||x|-|y||
Also, reread arildno's post. Clearly |a| is either a or -a, whichever is positive and thus the mximum max(a,-a) of a and -a.
ok i understand your reasoning, but then again this question if we would be on topic was a help on pure mathematical question, and the real question is:
will the checker approve this obviously logical assertion, this i don't know.

but it looks that your way is the same as of devious and mathman has proposed, i myself not yet convinced it's any different, just other notation.

but I'm willing to be disproven.

Or you can just square both sides:

[tex]||x|-|y||^2=(|x|-|y|)^2=x^2-2|x||y|+y^2[/tex]
[tex]|x-y|^2=(x-y)^2=x^2-2x\cdot y+y^2[/tex]

where of course, multiplication is the scalar dot product in Euclidean space, or more generally the inner product.

cant you just square both sides?

1. What is the triangle inequality theorem?

The triangle inequality theorem states that the sum of the lengths of any two sides of a triangle must be greater than the length of the third side. In other words, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, and a triangle's side cannot be longer than the sum of the other two sides.

2. Why is the triangle inequality theorem important?

The triangle inequality theorem is important because it helps to determine if given side lengths can form a triangle. If the sum of the lengths of two sides is not greater than the length of the third side, then a triangle cannot be formed with those side lengths. This theorem is also used in various mathematical and geometric proofs.

3. How is the triangle inequality theorem used in real life?

The triangle inequality theorem is used in many practical applications, such as construction, architecture, and engineering. For example, when building a bridge or a roof, the triangle inequality theorem ensures that the structure will be stable and able to support weight without collapsing.

4. Can the triangle inequality theorem be applied to other shapes besides triangles?

No, the triangle inequality theorem only applies to triangles because it specifically deals with the relationship between the lengths of a triangle's sides. Other shapes, such as squares or circles, have their own unique properties and theorems that govern their sides and angles.

5. How can I prove the triangle inequality theorem?

The triangle inequality theorem can be proven using the concept of the shortest distance between two points being a straight line. By drawing a triangle and comparing the lengths of its sides, it can be shown that the sum of the lengths of any two sides is always greater than the length of the third side.