Integral of derivative inconsistent

In summary, the person is asking for help with an integral and is confused because the derivative did not result in the original equation. They receive hints and realize that they need to include the constant in their integral to get the desired result. They also mention that they didn't appreciate the condescending tone in the other person's comments.
dc20
Hi,
I ran into a situation I haven't experienced before where the integral of the derivative doesn't get me the original equation.
Is there a fundamental principle I am missing with this specific example ?
Derivative of this...
(x^2) / ( (x^2)-4 )
...gives...
(-8*x) / ( (x^2-4)^2 )
But integral of (that)...
(-8*x) / ( (x^2-4)^2 )
...gives...
(4) / ( (x^2-4) )
...instead of (x^2) / ( (x^2)-4 ) (original equation).

Physics news on Phys.org
That's because you have your integral wrong! Remember that little extra bit that you're supposed to include, but never bother? ...

If you're referring to the constant that accompanies an integral answer, I don't see how that gets me an "x" in the numerator. That would just give me

(4) / ( (x^2-4) ) + C

(I'm doing the derivative first)

Another hint please ?

Last edited:
(1) Have you tried doing anything at all with the expression (4) / ( (x^2-4) ) + C ?

(2) Try stating mathematically what you would like to happen.

Either of these by itself should lead you to something that would make you happy. Have you tried either yet? These are the sorts of things that you should have already thought of -- get into that habit if you aren't there yet!

ok, I see: C = ( (x^2-4) ) / ( (x^2-4) ) = 1

giving in the numerator 4 + (x^2-4) = x^2 , resulting in the original equation (x^2) / ( (x^2)-4 ).

thanks, but I think your attitude or at least the way you come across in text could use an adjustment. The condescending comments aren't needed. Your comment was edited here, but came thru in the email and I can tell you I am far from lazy.

I tend to have a rather silly attitude -- I edited it once I realized that it would be interpreted as condascending (which I had not intended) instead of general silliness. Sorry if it bothered you.

no problem. thanks again for your help.

1. What is the definition of an integral of a derivative?

The integral of a derivative is the inverse operation of a derivative. It represents the area under the curve of a function that is continuously changing.

2. How is the inconsistency of an integral of a derivative determined?

The inconsistency of an integral of a derivative is determined by comparing the original function with the derivative and the integral calculated from the derivative. If there is a difference between the two, then it is considered inconsistent.

3. What causes an integral of a derivative to be inconsistent?

An integral of a derivative can be inconsistent due to various reasons such as mathematical errors, improper calculation methods, or incorrect assumptions about the original function.

4. Can an integral of a derivative be inconsistent even if the derivative is correct?

Yes, an integral of a derivative can be inconsistent even if the derivative is correct. This can happen if the original function is not continuous or if there are discontinuities in the function that are not accounted for in the derivative.

5. How can the inconsistency of an integral of a derivative be resolved?

The inconsistency of an integral of a derivative can be resolved by double-checking the calculations, ensuring the original function is continuous, and accounting for any discontinuities in the function. It is also important to use proper integration techniques and to check for any errors in the assumptions made about the original function.