Sound intensity and ocean microphone

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the distance a porpoise can be from a microphone in the ocean and still be heard, given the intensity of 10.6 dB and the power of 0.0502 W emitted by the porpoises. The calculation involves using the equation dB=10Log(I/Io) and I = P/(4pi r^2), with the correct answer being 1.87E+4 meters. The discrepancy in the calculations was due to a difference in the value for I.
Corky
The problem states:
A microphone in the ocean is sensitive to sounds emitted by popoises. To produce a usable signal , sound waves striking the microphone must have an intesity of 10.6 dB. If porpoises emit sound waves with a power of 0.0502 W, how far can a porpoise be from the microphone and still be heard? Disregard ansorbtion of sound waves by water.

I tried putting 10.6 decibels in the equation dB=10Log(I/Io)
and I solved for intensity to be 1.148E-10W/m^2

I then used that number in the I = P/4pi r^2 formula.
Solving for r I got 5.89E+3m.

But the right answer it the book is 1.87E+4
Can anyone tell me where I went wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Corky
A microphone in the ocean is sensitive to sounds emitted by popoises. To produce a usable signal , sound waves striking the microphone must have an intesity of 10.6 dB. If porpoises emit sound waves with a power of 0.0502 W, how far can a porpoise be from the microphone and still be heard? Disregard ansorbtion of sound waves by water.

10log(I/(10^-12)) = 10.6
log(I/(10^-12)) = 1.06
I/(10^-12) = 10^1.06
I = 1.148e-11

I = P/(4pi r^2)
r^2 = P/(4pi I)
r^2 = 0.0502/(4pi 1.148e-11)
r^2 = 3.4797e8
r = 18654m
r = 1.87e4

I think the error was in what you thought the value for I was. Your I is 10x as big as mine.

Nice thanks

1. What is sound intensity?

Sound intensity is a measure of the power of sound waves per unit area. It is typically measured in decibels (dB) and can range from 0 dB (threshold of hearing) to 120 dB (threshold of pain).

2. How does sound intensity affect ocean life?

Sound intensity can have a significant impact on ocean life. High levels of sound can disrupt communication, navigation, and behavior of marine animals. It can also cause physical harm, such as hearing loss and tissue damage, to sensitive species.

3. What is an ocean microphone?

An ocean microphone, also known as a hydrophone, is a device used to detect and record sound in the ocean. It consists of a waterproof microphone that is attached to a cable and submerged in the water to capture underwater sounds.

4. How is sound intensity measured in the ocean?

Sound intensity in the ocean is measured using a hydrophone. The hydrophone converts sound waves into electrical signals, which are then amplified and recorded by specialized equipment. This data can then be analyzed to determine the intensity and frequency of the sound.

5. What are some factors that can affect sound intensity in the ocean?

There are several factors that can affect sound intensity in the ocean, including the source of the sound, the distance from the source, and the type of water (e.g. depth, salinity, temperature). Other factors such as ambient noise, underwater topography, and ocean currents can also impact sound intensity.