Integral infinitesimal meaning

In summary, the notation used for indefinite and definite integrals is a convention. The "dx" in the notation does not represent a multiplication, but rather serves as a symbol for the infinitesimal change in the variable of integration. In some books, the order of the "dx" and the integrand may be switched, but this does not change the meaning of the integral. The notation may seem confusing when integrating multiple functions, but it is still a conventional representation of the integral."
C0nfused
Hi everybody,
I have one question about integrals. I know the definition of an indefinite or definite integral but I am not sure I understand the notation. The indefinite integral of a function f:R->R (assuming that it exists) is noted like this [itex]\int f(x)dx[/itex] Is the notation f(x)dx a multiplication or just a way of showing the variable of the integration?If we have an expression like this [itex]\int f(x) g(x)dx[/itex] then is this equivalent to [itex]\int [f(x) g(x)]dx}[/itex] or can we interprete it also like this [itex]\int f(x)[g(x)dx][/itex]. I was once told that this notation is just a convension but it can be treated like a product in cases like this: if u=g(x) then du=g'(x)dx then the integral [itex]\int f(g(x))g'(x)dx[/itex] is equal to [itex]\int f(u)du[/itex]. But I would like to know if this is really a product between the function and the infinitesimal or just a symbol that represents the meaning of the integral. If it's multiplication then I guess we could write also [itex]\int [f(x)dx]g(x)[/itex] ? (I also guess that the same explanation applies to definite,double and generally all integrals)

That's all. Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The indefinite "integral" is a function whose derivative equals the "integrand" f. An anti-derivative in other words. Period.
We choose (IMO unfortunately) to give an anti-derivative the notation [itex]\int{f}(x)dx[/tex]

The DEFINITE integral between numbers "a" and "b" is, in effect, the limit of PARTIAL sums on the form:
[tex]S_{N}(a,b)=\sum_{i=0}^{N}f(x^{(i)})(\bigtriangleup{x})_{i}, x^{(i)}\in(\bigtriangleup{x})_{i}, (\bigtriangleup{x})_{i}=x_{i+1}-x_{i}, x_{0}=a,x_{N+1}=b[/tex]
where numbers [itex]x_{0}, x_{1},...x_{N+1}[/itex] partition the interval (a,b) into sub-intervals.

A partition sequence [itex]P_{N}[/itex] is a sequence of sets of distinct numbers [itex]s_{N}=\{x_{0},x_{N+1}\}[/itex] all lying inside (a,b). Thus, the sub-intervals must decrease to zero length individually.
Depending on our partition sequence, we get DIFFERENT partial sums.

Depending on our choices of [itex]x^{(i)}[/itex], we also get different partial sums for the same choice of partition sequence.
Two are to be noted in particular:
The UPPER Riemann sum chooses the [itex]x^{(i)}[/itex] to be the maxima of f on the interval [itex](\bigtriangleup{x})_{i}[/itex], whereas the LOWER Riemann sum uses the minina of f on the intervals.

If it can be shown that given any choice of partition sequences of (a,b), the lower and upper Riemannsums converge to the SAME limit, we call that number [itex]\int_{a}^{b}f(x)dx[/itex]
Note that here, the "dx"-piece in the notation plays the same role as the non-zero intervals [itex](\bigtriangleup{x})_{i}[/itex] in the expression for the partial sums.

In some books, for example certain physics texts, one switches the order of the dx and the f(x).

Last edited:
arildno said:
The indefinite "integral" is a function whose derivative equals the "integrand" f. An anti-derivative in other words. Period.
We choose (IMO unfortunately) to give an anti-derivative the notation [itex]\int{f}(x)dx[/tex]

The DEFINITE integral between numbers "a" and "b" is, in effect, the limit of PARTIAL sums on the form:
[tex]S_{N}(a,b)=\sum_{i=0}^{N}f(x^{(i)})(\bigtriangleup{x})_{i}, x^{(i)}\in(\bigtriangleup{x})_{i}, (\bigtriangleup{x})_{i}=x_{i+1}-x_{i}, x_{0}=a,x_{N+1}=b[/tex]
where numbers [itex]x_{0}, x_{1},...x_{N+1}[/itex] partition the interval (a,b) into sub-intervals.

A partition sequence [itex]P_{N}[/itex] is a sequence of sets of distinct numbers [itex]s_{N}=\{x_{0},x_{N+1}\}[/itex] all lying inside (a,b). Thus, the sub-intervals must decrease to zero length individually.
Depending on our partition sequence, we get DIFFERENT partial sums.

Depending on our choices of [itex]x^{(i)}[/itex], we also get different partial sums for the same choice of partition sequence.
Two are to be noted in particular:
The UPPER Riemann sum chooses the [itex]x^{(i)}[/itex] to be the maxima of f on the interval [itex](\bigtriangleup{x})_{i}[/itex], whereas the LOWER Riemann sum uses the minina of f on the intervals.

If it can be shown that given any choice of partition sequences of (a,b), the lower and upper Riemannsums converge to the SAME limit, we call that number [itex]\int_{a}^{b}f(x)dx[/itex]
Note that here, the "dx"-piece in the notation plays the same role as the non-zero intervals [itex](\bigtriangleup{x})_{i}[/itex] in the expression for the partial sums.

In some books, for example certain physics texts, one switches the order of the dx and the f(x).
Thanks for your answer. First of all, could u please explain what IMO means?? English is not my mother-tongue so I didn't get it.

As for the rest of your reply, I have read those definitions in various calculus books and my question is not about how we define these things but if the "dx" really means anything. From your answer I get that it is just a notation, especially in indefinite integrals.

However the symbol dx does mean something in maths. I mean: we DEFINE d(f(x))=f'(x)*Δx (when f' exists). So d(f(x)) is a function of x and Δx. If f(x)=x then dx=1*Δx=Δx. So i think: If the integral notation is just a convension, why would we choose to use an existing symbol like dx instead of a new one? And from the properties of the integral it seems like the notation [itex]\int{f}(x)dx[/tex] suggests a multiplication [itex]\int{f}(x) \cdot dx[/itex]. But it doesn't also really makes much sense what kind of multiplication is this... And it get's a bit complicated if we think of more than one functions being integrated, like this [itex]\int f(x)g(x) dx[/itex]. Is there only one interpretation->[itex]\int [f(x)g(x)] \cdot dx = \int [f(x)g(x)]dx[/itex].?

That's why I am a bit confused.

Last edited:
IMO: In my opinion.
Note that in the partial sums, you multiply a function value with the length of an interval in which the argument of the function lies.
that is the basis for calling an "infinitely" small interval dx, and multiply it with the function value at x.

arildno said:

Arildno: does this mean that said switch is enterely irrelevant and only a matter of taste??

Castilla said:

Arildno: does this mean that said switch is enterely irrelevant and only a matter of taste??

Yes, in fact it is not uncommon, in some textbooks (mostly physics texts, I will confess), where there is only one variable, to completely drop the "dx" and write [itex]\int f(x)[/itex] rather than [itex]\int f(x)dx[/itex].

I consider that bad practise: the "dx" helps to get the function correct when you are changing variables- it reminds you that if u= f(x), then you will need to use du= f'(x)dx. Also, in Riemann-Stieljes and Lebesque integrals may have different measures.

Treating [itex]\int \bullet \ dx[/itex] as a notation only, how would one go about proving that

[tex]\int h(y(x))\frac{dy}{dx}dx = \int h(y)dy[/tex]

?

I can prove it in the special case where y(x) is a bijection.

Last edited:
The proof of the substitution theorem (at least one direction) should be in your textbook. :smile:

There are actually lots of concepts all written using this notation.

I've tried following the proof of the substitution theorem but i made a mistake in my notation. That's why it seemed not to be working. Sorry for this false alarm. But I will be back... >:)

Prove it by the chain rule.

1. What is the definition of "integral infinitesimal meaning"?

Integral infinitesimal meaning refers to the mathematical concept of integrating over infinitesimal (infinitely small) intervals or values. It is used to calculate the total area under a curve or the sum of infinitely small values to determine a precise result.

2. How is integral infinitesimal meaning used in calculus?

In calculus, integral infinitesimal meaning is used to calculate the area under a curve, also known as the integral of a function. It is an important tool for finding the total change or accumulation of a quantity over a continuous interval.

3. Can you give an example of integral infinitesimal meaning?

Sure, let's say we have a function f(x) = x^2 and we want to find the area under the curve from x = 0 to x = 1. We can divide this interval into smaller and smaller sections, each with a width of dx. The area of each section can be approximated by the height of the curve (f(x)) multiplied by the width (dx). By summing up all these infinitesimal areas, we can find the exact area under the curve, which in this case is 1/3.

4. What is the significance of integral infinitesimal meaning in physics?

In physics, integral infinitesimal meaning is used to calculate physical quantities such as work, force, and displacement. By breaking down these quantities into infinitesimal intervals, we can use integration to find their precise values and better understand the behavior of physical systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using integral infinitesimal meaning?

While integral infinitesimal meaning is a powerful tool for solving mathematical and physical problems, it does have some limitations. It may not always be possible to find an exact solution using this method, and in some cases, it may lead to incorrect results if not used properly. In addition, the concept of infinitesimals has been a topic of debate and controversy throughout the history of mathematics.