How Does Current Flow in a Circuit According to Kirchhoff's Law?

• Thread starter app
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, Daniel's answer is that you put *arbitrary* dorections for all the currents, solve the equations (conservation of current at the nodes, sum of voltages equal to zero in loops) and at the very end if any of your value of current is negative, it tells you that the direction you had chosen (randomly) at the beginning was incorrect. If the sign of a current is positive, then it tells you that your guess was the right one.
app
Some problems on Kirchhoff's law- pls help!

hello.i am stuck with some kirchhoff's law problems. i have attached the problem along with this post. now, all the cells may or may not give current. but atleast the 15V cell has to discharge. (the longer line represents the positive end of the cell.) I'm having problems identifying, in which way current will flow in the circuit? which cell will be discharging and which will not? where will the current flow after starting from the 15V cell. if i could identify the currents, then applying the kirchhoff's loop rule is allright. pls help, I'm really confused. I'm a new member of PF, a good forum indeed. the text above each of the cells denotes the emf and the internal voltage. the two black boxes are resistance boxes with their resistance values given at the side. pls help...

Attachments

• kirchhoff11.jpg
    kirchhoff11.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
normally you set the direction of the current as going from the + to the -. But really you don't have to do it this way, you could say that the direction in both the top and the bottom are clockwise and then adjust the minus signs afterwards if that's easier.

how silly, wht an answer by daniel! everyone knows tht current flows frm positive to negative, I'm not that dumb! can't anyone show the path of current in the circuit? then only is it possible to apply kirchhoffs law...

app said:
how silly, wht an answer by daniel! everyone knows tht current flows frm positive to negative, I'm not that dumb! can't anyone show the path of current in the circuit? then only is it possible to apply kirchhoffs law...
Daniel's answer is NOT silly! The answer is that you put *arbitrary* dorections for all the currents, solve the equations (conservation of current at the nodes, sum of voltages equal to zero in loops) and at the very end if any of your value of current is negative, it tells you that the direction you had chosen (randomly) at the beginning was incorrect. If the sign of a current is positive, then it tells you that your guess was the right one.

app said:

Way to get people to want to help you. Smooth, dude.

I'm SORRY !

hey daniel, I'm sorry for calling tht answer silly. actually i didnt get the meaning at first. but now i got it. THANKS A LOT FOR HELPING. PLEASE DONT MIND, I'M REALLY SORRY.

app said:
hey daniel, I'm sorry for calling tht answer silly. actually i didnt get the meaning at first. but now i got it. THANKS A LOT FOR HELPING. PLEASE DONT MIND, I'M REALLY SORRY.

That's better. :approve:

In all the following, the directions are indicated by the order of the letters.

OK, divide the circuit into 2 clockwise loops DBACD and DCEFD. You can also analyse the big loop FBAEF but this you can solve the problem without it, it would be helpful in confirming your answer though.

Now label the current going thru DB as [tex]I_1[/tex], and that going through EF as [tex]I_2[/tex].

Then the current going through DC is ? (use Kirchoff's 2nd law here).

Then use Kirchoff's first law in summing up voltages around each of the loops I mentioned. When going from the positive side to the negative side of a cell of voltage V, you add MINUS V (or subtract V).

When going across a resistor R following the labelled direction of current I, you add MINUS IR (or subtract IR). When going across the same resistance opposite to the labelled direction of current, add IR instead.

In this way, set up a system of 2 simultaneous equations in [tex]I_1[/tex] and [tex]I_2[/tex] and solve for it. You can use the big loop to confirm the answer is correct. If you do this the same way I did (as in the above), you will find that one of the current values comes out negative, meaning the "actual" conventional current in that part of the circuit flows the opposite way from the way we had assumed.

For the other bit, the question is a little ambiguous, but I'll assume they want us to find the potential difference between points A and F [tex]V_{AF}[/tex] Here you don't need a complete loop, all you need to do is to treat the point A as if it contains a voltage source and F as if it's a ground point.

Then, taking the path ABDF, [tex]V_{AF} - 15V - (-I_1)(1\ohm) = 0[/tex]

and you can use the previously determined value of [tex]I_1[/tex] to get [tex]V_{AF}[/tex]. To check the answer, use the path ACEF.

Last edited:

What is Kirchhoff's law?

Kirchhoff's law, also known as Kirchhoff's circuit laws, are two fundamental principles in electrical engineering that describe the behavior of electrical circuits. They are used to calculate the current and voltage in a circuit and are essential for circuit analysis.

What are the two laws in Kirchhoff's law?

The two laws in Kirchhoff's law are Kirchhoff's current law (KCL) and Kirchhoff's voltage law (KVL). KCL states that the sum of currents entering a node is equal to the sum of currents leaving the node. KVL states that the sum of voltages in a closed loop is equal to zero.

How do I apply Kirchhoff's law to solve problems?

To apply Kirchhoff's law, you need to first draw a circuit diagram and label all the components. Then, use KCL to write equations for the currents at each node and KVL to write equations for the voltages in each loop. Finally, solve the equations simultaneously to find the unknown variables.

What are some common problems encountered when using Kirchhoff's law?

Some common problems encountered when using Kirchhoff's law include forgetting to include all components in the circuit, incorrect labeling of components, and not following the correct direction for current and voltage in the equations. It is important to double-check the circuit diagram and equations before solving to avoid these errors.

Are there any limitations to Kirchhoff's law?

Yes, there are limitations to Kirchhoff's law. It assumes ideal conditions, such as no resistance in wires and no inductance or capacitance in the circuit. It also does not take into account non-linear components such as diodes and transistors. In practical circuits, these limitations may affect the accuracy of the solutions obtained using Kirchhoff's law.