How Much Weight Can an 8mm Diameter Steel Bar Safely Support?

In summary, the Ultimate tensile strength of steel is 470MPa. Assuming a factor of safety of 5, the maximum working load for an 8.00mm diameter round steel bar is 4724.96 Newtons. The necessary equations to calculate this load are: Stress= Force / Area and multiplying the maximum load by the factor of safety of 5. It is important to first write down all necessary equations before plugging in numbers.
dblanche
The Ultimate tensile strength of steel is 470MPa.

Assuming a factor of safety of 5 the maximum working load an 8.00mm diameter round steel bar should support against gravity is?

Physics news on Phys.org
And the work you have done so far towards solving the problem is... ?

<see my signature>

I have used every formula that I can think of, I've used the following equations:

Stress= Force / Area
470 x 10E06 = force / 5.03 x 10E-05
Force = 23624.78 N

then multiply 23624.78 by the factor of safety being 5
= 118123.9 Newtons?

Don't really know how to do it, could you please give us some hints?

dblanche said:
I have used every formula that I can think of, I've used the following equations:
Stress= Force / Area
470 x 10E06 = force / 5.03 x 10E-05
Force = 23624.78 N
This is correct. You've calculated the maximum load.

then multiply 23624.78 by the factor of safety being 5
= 118123.9 Newtons?
There's a small error here. Should the allowable load be 5 times the maximum load ? What happens to the rod if you apply a load greater than the maximum load ?

Before you do any calculation involving numbers, first write down all the necessary equations using symbols to represent the various quantities involved. Plug in the numbers only after you've arrived at a final equation with the required unknown on one side, and all the knowns on the other.

No the allowable load would not be 5 times the maximum load, you divide this maximum load by 5 to give the maximum working load, which is 472.5 kg or 4724.96 Newtons........

Thanks for your help

1. What is the difference between stress and strain?

Stress is the force applied to an object, while strain is the resulting deformation or change in shape of the object.

2. How does stress and strain affect materials?

Stress and strain can cause materials to deform, break, or fail depending on their strength and elasticity. Too much stress can exceed a material's strength and cause it to break, while too much strain can cause permanent deformation.

3. What are the different types of stress and strain?

The three main types of stress are tensile, compressive, and shear stress. Tensile stress stretches or elongates a material, compressive stress squeezes or shortens it, and shear stress causes one part of a material to slide past another. Similarly, the three types of strain are tensile, compressive, and shear strain, corresponding to the different types of stress.

4. How do engineers and scientists measure stress and strain?

Stress is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (N/m2). Strain is measured as a percentage or decimal of the original length or size of a material. Engineers and scientists use specialized instruments like strain gauges and extensometers to accurately measure stress and strain.

5. What are some common causes of stress and strain in everyday life?

Stress and strain can occur in everyday life through activities like lifting heavy objects, bending or stretching materials, or even just walking. Other causes include temperature changes, pressure, and impact or vibration. Additionally, stress and strain can build up over time due to repetitive actions or environmental factors.