Easy for you to solve, need an anwser pls

• Thread starter sero
  • Start date
In summary: The horizontal distance the jumper travels is:d=v_0t+a*v_0t^2This formula works in the frame of the ground or the boxcar. From the boxcar's viewpoint, v_0 = 0; from the viewpoint of someone on the ground, v_0 = 35{mph}, the same speed as the boxcar itself. So if the guy jumps from the closed boxcar, his distance will be:d=v_0t+a*(35+a*(v_0-v_0t))where a is the air resistance.
sero
If a train is going 35 mph and there's a dude standing in a boxcar and he jumps 2 feet in the air, where will he land? In the same spot, or ahead of or behind the spot he jumped from?

currently some friends and I are debating this. some say the same spot some say behind. I say the same spot due to Newtons 1st law of motion, and general relativity.

1. what is the anwser
2. what is the equation to solve it ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by sero
1. what is the anwser
If he jumps straight up, he will fall straight down...landing on the same spot in the boxcar.
2. what is the equation to solve it ?
No equations needed, but if you insist, the horizontal distance the jumper travels is:
[tex]d=v_0t[/tex]
This formula works in the frame of the ground or the boxcar. From the boxcar's viewpoint, [itex]v_0 = 0[/itex]; from the viewpoint of someone on the ground, [itex]v_0 = 35{mph}[/itex], the same speed as the boxcar itself.

cont

thanks Doc :smile:

Well there is a caveat. Before the guy jumps he's at rest with respect to the train. This means he shares the same forward speed the train does, relative to the ground, and has a forward momentum of his mass times that speed. When he jumps straight up, his momentum - and therefore his forward velocity - would be conserved if there was no air. And in that case he would still have the same speed as the train and would come down where he started.

But there is air resistance; some of his momentum is transferred to the air, and he loses a litle speed. So when he comes down he hasn't moved quite as far ahead relative to the ground as the train has, and he lands just a little behind his starting spot. Maybe only an inch or to, but iot would be measurable.

I don't think we need to consider coriolis force. Imagine the train is at the equator.

Originally posted by selfAdjoint
Well there is a caveat. ... When he jumps straight up, his momentum - and therefore his forward velocity - would be conserved if there was no air.
It's a boxcar, not a flatcar. :smile: Assume it's closed and the air is carried along.

1. Can you give me a step-by-step guide to solving this problem?

Unfortunately, every problem is unique and requires a different approach. It would be best to provide more context or details about the specific problem you need help with so I can give you a more accurate answer.

2. How long will it take for you to solve this problem?

The time it takes to solve a problem depends on its complexity and the available resources. It's difficult to give an exact time frame without knowing the specifics of the problem. However, I will do my best to solve it as quickly and efficiently as possible.

3. Will you be able to solve this problem without any additional information?

Without any context or details, it will be challenging to accurately solve the problem. The more information you can provide, the better I can understand the problem and find a solution.

4. Can you explain the solution in simple terms?

Yes, I will do my best to explain the solution in a way that is easy to understand. If you have any questions or need further clarification, don't hesitate to ask.

5. Is there a guarantee that your solution will work?

I cannot guarantee that my solution will work for every problem. However, I will use my knowledge and expertise to find the best possible solution for your specific problem.