Which way will the ball swing?

• Thread starter uwmphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Swing
In summary: Except, I got that question wrong on a physics test way back in undergrad. Their explanation at the time had to do with air pressure changes in the car...
uwmphysics
Can anyone help me with this?

Assume that you are driving down a staight road at a constant speed. A small ball is tied on the end of a string hanging from the rear view mirror. Which way will the ball swing when you apply the breaks?
a. forward
b. backward
c. it will not swing
d. it depends how hard you apply the breaks

thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the individual speeds of the ball and the car. Obviously at, say, a steady speed of 60 km/h, both the car and the ball are traveling at that speed with respect to the road. If the car slows down (braking), what speed will the ball have in relation to it? Higher, lower, the same? Imagine the string isn't there and it's just floating in air, if it helps.

Hint :Think pseudo forces .

Think about it in a real context... if you are in the car, and the brakes are applied, which way does it feel like you are moving?

Inertia =)

Quiz question -- what if it is a very light balloon? Why is the motion different from a tennis ball?

berkeman said:
Quiz question -- what if it is a very light balloon? Why is the motion different from a tennis ball?
It isn't different. A light balloon will do the same thing as a tennis ball.

Unless they meant a bouyant, helium-filled balloon... :devil:

DaveC426913 said:
It isn't different. A light balloon will do the same thing as a tennis ball.

Unless they meant a bouyant, helium-filled balloon... :devil:
Except, I got that question wrong on a physics test way back in undergrad. Their explanation at the time had to do with air pressure changes in the car... You're saying I should have gotten that extra-credit question right? I'm going to call up my old prof...:approve:

1. How does the spin of the ball affect its swing?

The spin of the ball plays a crucial role in determining its swing. When a ball is spinning, it creates a difference in air pressure on either side of the ball, causing it to move in the direction of the lower pressure. This is known as the Magnus effect and is responsible for the curve or swing of the ball.

2. What factors influence the swing of the ball?

There are several factors that can impact the swing of a ball, including the speed and direction of the wind, the condition of the pitch, the type of ball being used, and the technique and skill of the bowler. Even small variations in these factors can have a significant impact on the swing of the ball.

3. Can the swing of the ball be predicted or controlled?

While there are some techniques and strategies that can be used to enhance or manipulate the swing of a ball, it is ultimately influenced by many unpredictable factors. Therefore, it is difficult to accurately predict or fully control the swing of a ball.

4. Is there a specific side of the ball that needs to be polished for better swing?

Yes, the side of the ball that is shiny and smooth will typically produce more swing. This is because the polished side creates less resistance against the air, allowing the ball to swing more easily. This is why bowlers often shine one side of the ball and leave the other side rough.

5. Does the seam on the ball affect its swing?

Yes, the seam on a ball can have a significant impact on its swing. When a ball is bowled with the seam in an upright position, it creates more turbulence and generates more swing. However, if the seam is flattened, the ball is likely to swing less. This is why bowlers often try to keep the seam upright while bowling.