Calculating Mass Inside a Unit Sphere using Spherical Coordinates

In summary, The conversation discusses finding the total mass inside a unit sphere, given the density function of a fluid. The expert suggests using spherical coordinates for the calculation and provides the triple integral equation to find the mass. They also point out a calculation error in the original equation.
I don't know how to use LaTex or anything yet, so I'll just have to word this right.

Question: If the density of a fluid is given by

p = exp ^ -(x^2+y^2+z^2)^3/2

what is the total mass inside the unit sphere.

Since mass = integral (p dA)
where dA is the element of area

I switched to spherical coords...

M = [int(0..2*Pi)]:[int(0..Pi)]:[int(0..1) : [exp ^ -(p) ^ 3/2] * p^2*sin(phi) dp d(phi) d(theta)

where this is the triple integral of the function designated, with integration bounds listed in parantheses and the order of integration shown at the end of the equation.

I got the answer 2.213...if anyone sees any mistakes, please let me know. Sorry it's not easier to read...:rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
What you use here actually is mass = the integral of p with respect to V, volume.

You did make a calculation error: in your integral for M, the expression for the mass should have a p2 term, not a p term, in the exponential (which will reduce to e-(p3))

1. What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a system of coordinates used to locate points in three-dimensional space. They consist of a radius, an angle from the positive z-axis (called the inclination or polar angle), and an angle from the positive x-axis (called the azimuth or azimuthal angle).

2. How do you calculate the mass inside a unit sphere?

To calculate the mass inside a unit sphere using spherical coordinates, you can use the formula: M = ρ∫∫∫ r^2sinθdθdφdr, where ρ is the density of the object and the integration is done over the volume of the unit sphere.

3. What is the density of the object in this calculation?

The density of the object can vary depending on what you are trying to calculate. It could be the density of a solid object or the density of a continuous distribution within the sphere. The important thing is to use the correct density value for your specific problem.

4. Are there any other methods to calculate the mass inside a unit sphere?

Yes, there are other methods to calculate the mass inside a unit sphere, such as using Cartesian coordinates or cylindrical coordinates. However, the spherical coordinates method is often preferred as it simplifies the integral and is better suited for problems with spherical symmetry.

5. What is the significance of calculating the mass inside a unit sphere?

Calculating the mass inside a unit sphere is useful in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, astronomy, and fluid mechanics. It allows us to determine the distribution of mass within a spherical object and can help in understanding the behavior of objects in three-dimensional space.