Mastering Modular Arithmetic: Proving a2 ≡ 0 (mod n) with Expert Tips

• Thread starter murshid_islam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arithmetic
In summary, the conversation is about the proof of the statement "if a^2 ≡ 0 (mod n), then a ≡ 0 (mod n)." The individual is trying to prove this statement by showing that if a prime divides a^2, then it also divides a. However, their reasoning is circular as they are relying on the fundamental theorem of arithmetic, which is a consequence of the same statement they are trying to prove. They are advised to explicitly state when they are using the fundamental theorem of arithmetic in their argument.
murshid_islam
hi,

i have started "self-studying" number theory. and since i am quite new to number theory and modular arithmetic, i need some help.
how can i prove that if a2 ≡ 0 (mod n), then a ≡ 0 (mod n).

thanks in advance to anybody who can help.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can't, because it is false. Find a simple counter example.

well, i was trying to prove that [tex]\sqrt n[/tex] is irrational if n is not a perfect square. i assumed that it is rational and
[tex]\sqrt n[/tex] = [tex]{a}\over{b}[/tex] where gcd(a,b) = 1.
then [tex]a^2 = nb^2[/tex]

now n divides a2. if only i could prove that n divides a, then i could put a = nk and get
[tex]n^2k^2 = nb^2[/tex]

[tex]nk^2 = b^2[/tex]

and now n divides b2. now if n divides b then n divides both a and b. thus gcd(a,b) is not 1 as it was assumed.

but how can i prove it? since n divides a2 doesn't imply n divides a.

Last edited:
Just think about the prime decompostion of n. It suffices to assume that n is square free (i.e. no prime divides n more than once).

so if a prime divides n once and n divides a2, then that prime divides a2 twice. hence that prime divides a once. is that it?

No. That is not it. It is true that if p divides a^2 that p^2 divides a^2, but it if you assume that you are assuming the result. You want to prove that fact.

could you please elaborate?

How have you decided p^2 divides a^2? You have either got a circular argument or an unnecessary step.

The definition of prime is p is prime if p|ab implies p|a or p|b, by the way. (You should prove this is equivalent to your definition if yours is different.)

ok, then can you please help me with the proof that [tex]\sqrt n[/tex] is irrational if n is not a perfect square?

Last edited:
Are with you familiar with the usual argument for why, say, [itex]\sqrt{p}[/itex] is irrational when [itex]p[/itex] is prime?

This can be reduced to the same thing. You can decompose any positive integer [itex]n[/itex] into the product of a squarefree integer and a perfect square (note that 1 is a squarefree integer AND a perfect square), which is what matt meant by "it is sufficient to assume n is squarefree." Try to use that to prove it.

Your line of argument is perfectly fine as long as you take care with it. There are all manner of fussy ways of writing it, but it suffices to assume that n is square free (and not equal to 1). Then if n=a^2/b^2, and p is a prime that divides n we reach an obvious contradiction along the lines you've discussed.

ok tell me if this is right:
if a prime p divides a2, then p2 also divides a2. and since p2 divides a2, i.e., p.p divides a.a, then p divides a. am i correct?

How are you concluding that p^2 divides a^2 if p divides a^2? I only ask, again, because the usual way of proving this fact is to prove that p divides a by the definition of primeness. So as I am now saying for the third time you are either using a circular argument or you're doing something unnecessary.The fact that 'if divides a^2 then p divides a' is an immediate consequence of the (proper) definition of prime, as I have, again, already told you.

The result is not true for non-primes, and at no point do you explain why p being prime is important, so no, this is not sufficient proof, in my opinion.

Last edited:
matt grime said:
How are you concluding that p^2 divides a^2 if p divides a^2?
suppose the prime decomposition of a = p1.p2...pn.
then a2 = p12.p22...pn2.

now, if pk divides a2, then pk2 also divides a2.

and if pk2 divides a2, i.e., if pk.pk divides a.a, then pk divides a.

Last edited:
You are assuming that prime factorization is unique, then, but not bothering to say so. That is bad: your proof is flawed.

If p divides ab then p divides a or b is the definition of prime so use to, for pity's sake.

matt grime said:
You are assuming that prime factorization is unique, then
isn't that the fundamental theorem of arithmetic? i am not assuming it. i know that it is true.

Ok, I'm going to give up flogging this dead horse and leave you with a repeat of what I've been saying all along: your argument is too long and relies on unstated results, and now that you have stated them we see it is circular. If you're going to use the fundamental theorem of arithmetic say you're using it. The fact that p divides a if p divides a^2 is a consequence of the definition of primeness. You do not need to invoke uniqueness of prime factorization to deduce it, and in fact this is circular logic beause the proof the the fundamental theorem of arithmetic is a consequence of a special case of the very result you're using the fundamental theorem of arithmetic to prove.

Last edited:
matt grime said:
in fact this is circular logic beause the proof the the fundamental theorem of arithmetic is a consequence of a special case of the very result you're using the fundamental theorem of arithmetic to prove.
thank you very much for this info. i couldn't understand before why you were saying "circular logic". now i see that my reasoning was indeed "circular". thanks once again.

1. What is modular arithmetic?

Modular arithmetic is a branch of mathematics that deals with integers and their remainders when divided by a fixed number, called the modulus. It is often used to solve problems involving repeating patterns, such as finding the day of the week for a given date or calculating the time to complete a task.

2. How does modular arithmetic relate to proving a2 ≡ 0 (mod n)?

Modular arithmetic is used to prove a2 ≡ 0 (mod n) by showing that the remainder when a2 is divided by n is equal to 0. This can be done using mathematical principles and expert tips, such as using the properties of congruence and the Chinese Remainder Theorem.

3. What are some expert tips for mastering modular arithmetic?

Some expert tips for mastering modular arithmetic include practicing with different values of a and n, familiarizing yourself with the properties of congruence (reflexive, symmetric, and transitive), and understanding the Chinese Remainder Theorem and how it can be applied to solve modular arithmetic problems.

4. Can you provide an example of how to use modular arithmetic to prove a2 ≡ 0 (mod n)?

Sure, let's say we want to prove that 32 ≡ 0 (mod 8). We can rewrite 32 as (3 x 3) and use the property that (a x b) ≡ (c x d) (mod n) if a ≡ c (mod n) and b ≡ d (mod n). Therefore, we can say that (3 x 3) ≡ (0 x 0) (mod 8) since 3 ≡ 0 (mod 8) and 3 ≡ 0 (mod 8). This simplifies to 9 ≡ 0 (mod 8), which is true since 9 is divisible by 8 with a remainder of 1. Therefore, we have proven that 32 ≡ 0 (mod 8).

5. How can mastering modular arithmetic be useful in real life situations?

Mastering modular arithmetic can be useful in various real life situations, such as calculating the time to complete a task or determining the day of the week for a given date. It can also be applied in fields like computer science and cryptography, where modular arithmetic is used to solve complex problems and create secure systems.