Constant acceleration and free fall

In summary, the question involves finding the maximum altitude of a weather rocket that is loaded with 100 kg of fuel and accelerates upward at 34.0 m/s^2 for 31.0 seconds before running out of fuel. The formula used so far is sf = si + 0.5(34.0 m/s^2)(31.0 s)^2, resulting in a maximum altitude of 16337 m from 0 m to the point where the rocket runs out of fuel. The next step is to find the distance from this point to the point where the rocket reaches a final velocity of 0 m/s. The acceleration at this point is -9.81 m/s^2 and a formula can be
sunbunny
Hey, I've been having some problems with finding out the rocket's maximum altitude and was wondering if anyone could help. The question information is:

A 200kg weather rocket is loaded with 100 kg of fuel and fired straight up. It accelerates upward at 34.0 for 31.0 , then runs out of fuel. Ignore any air resistance effects.

So far I've taken:

sf= si + 0.5(34.0m/s2)(31.0s)^2 and I got 16337 m however, i know that this is only from 0m to the point at which the rocket runs out of fuel.

Next, I was trying to find the distance from this point to the point where the rocket will reach a final velocity of 0m/s however I'm unsure how to do this. I know that the acceleration now will be -9.81m/s2 but I'm unsure how to complete this problem.

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the velocity when it runs out of fuel?

You have a formula for that. Even though you shouldn't need to look up a formula if you know what acceleration is.

What do you think you should do after?

oh my goodness, i can't believe that i didn't see that lol. thank you so much :)

1. What is constant acceleration?

Constant acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is measured in units of distance per time squared, such as meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How is constant acceleration related to free fall?

In free fall, an object experiences a constant acceleration due to the force of gravity. This acceleration is typically denoted by the letter "g" and has a value of 9.8 m/s^2 near the surface of the Earth.

3. How does air resistance affect free fall?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can have a significant impact on the acceleration of an object in free fall. As an object falls, it experiences an upward force from air resistance that increases with velocity. This can result in a decrease in acceleration and a lower overall speed at impact.

4. What is terminal velocity in free fall?

Terminal velocity is the maximum speed that an object can reach during free fall. It occurs when the upward force of air resistance is equal to the downward force of gravity, resulting in a net force of zero and a constant velocity. The value of terminal velocity can vary depending on factors such as the object's shape and mass.

5. Can an object experience constant acceleration and free fall at the same time?

Yes, an object can experience constant acceleration due to gravity while also being in free fall. This is because free fall is defined as the motion of an object under the sole influence of gravity, and the acceleration due to gravity is constant near the surface of the Earth.