Find Expression for Acceleration of Figure w/ Frictionless Table

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding an expression for the acceleration of an object on a frictionless table. The discussion includes attempts at solving the problem, with one solution being deemed incorrect. The conversation also includes a question about whether the solution should depend on a certain variable and mentions the potential relationship between two accelerations if there is no slipping.
adventq
So the problem I am working on is: In the figure, find an expression for the acceleration of (assume that the table is frictionless). I have attached the figure of reference.

I have so far tried to solve by first looking at m2 to get:
2T-m_2*g=m_2*a so T= (m_2*(a+g))/2

Then by looking at m1 I got:
T=m_1*a so a=(m_2*g)/(2*m_1-m_2)
This is supposidely wrong.
Can anyone see what I did wrong and how to fix it?

Should it be a=(m_2*g)/(2*m_1+m_2) ?

Attachments

• expimage.doc
    51 KB · Views: 238
Physics news on Phys.org
wheres the figure ?

sorry...forgot it at first

here is the image

Attachments

• expimage.doc
    51 KB · Views: 229
Any thoughts?

any smart person have any clue about where i went wrong?

how does a=(m_2*g)/(2*m_1+m_2) sound?

okay...when I assumed a1 not equal to a2 which i wasnt doing originally, i got 2T-m_2*g=-m_2*a_2 and T=m_1*a_1
sbsitiuting and shifting things around I got:

a_1=(m_2*g-m_2*a_2)/(2*m_1)

does thi seem right?

should my anyswer depend on a_2 or are they assumed to be the same, therefor giving me a=(m_2*g)/(2*m_1+m_2) ?

Can someone work the problem and tell me if they are getting what I have of something different?

notice that if there is no slipping, a_2 should be one half of a_1 because of the string.

Did anyone solve this? I am working on the same problem and am completely stumped.

What is the definition of acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

How does friction affect the acceleration of an object on a table?

Friction is the force that opposes motion between two surfaces. In a frictionless table, there is no force resisting the motion of an object, so the acceleration would remain constant. However, in reality, there will always be some friction present, causing a decrease in the acceleration of the object.

What is the formula for calculating acceleration?

The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

How does the mass of an object affect its acceleration on a frictionless table?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. Therefore, on a frictionless table, the mass of an object does not affect its acceleration.

Can the acceleration of an object on a frictionless table ever be negative?

No, the acceleration of an object on a frictionless table can never be negative. Acceleration is a measure of how much an object is speeding up, and a negative acceleration would indicate that the object is slowing down.