Is This the Correct Solution for Maximizing Area of an Isosceles Triangle?

In summary, the problem is to find the largest area an Isosceles triangle with its vertex at the origin and base parallel to the x-axis can have when the vertices are above the curve y = 27-x^2. The solution involves using the formula for the area of a triangle and finding the critical points of the area function. After using a sign chart, it is determined that the local maximum is at x = 3, resulting in an area of 54 unit^2. However, it is important to note that this solution only applies to the range of 0<=x<=r, where r is the smallest positive root of 27-x^2.
donjt81
So here is the problem. I did it but just wanted to make sure it is correct... does the solution look ok to you guys.

problem: an Isosceles triangle has its vertex at the origin and its base parallel to the x-axis with the vertices above the x-axis on the curve y = 27-x^2. find the largest area the triangle can have.

solution:So I assumed the base of the triangle will be the points (x, y) and (-x, y).

Therefore height of the triangle will be y
length of the base will be x+x = 2x

Area = 1/2 * base * height
= 1/2 * 2x * y
=xy

now we know that y = 27 - x^2
so this area eqn becomes
A = x(27 - x^2)
A = 27x - x^3
now
A' = 27 - 3x^2 = 0
so the critical points are x = 3 and x = -3

using the sign chart i figured out that i have to use x = 3 because that is the local maximum.

and when I plug x = 3 back into A = x(27 - x^2) we get A = 54 unit^2

Can some one verify that my solution is correct? I would really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
donjt81 said:
So here is the problem. I did it but just wanted to make sure it is correct... does the solution look ok to you guys.

problem: an Isosceles triangle has its vertex at the origin and its base parallel to the x-axis with the vertices above the x-axis on the curve y = 27-x^2. find the largest area the triangle can have.

solution:So I assumed the base of the triangle will be the points (x, y) and (-x, y).

Therefore height of the triangle will be y
length of the base will be x+x = 2x

Area = 1/2 * base * height
= 1/2 * 2x * y
=xy

now we know that y = 27 - x^2
so this area eqn becomes
A = x(27 - x^2)
A = 27x - x^3
now
A' = 27 - 3x^2 = 0
so the critical points are x = 3 and x = -3

using the sign chart i figured out that i have to use x = 3 because that is the local maximum.

and when I plug x = 3 back into A = x(27 - x^2) we get A = 54 unit^2

Can some one verify that my solution is correct? I would really appreciate it.
Correct analysis and correct result.

AM

One small point is that you should be more careful about what range you're trying to find a maximum over. For example, at x=-10, A=+730, so why isn't this a better solution? The reason is that you're looking only for solutions with 0<=x<=r, where r is the smallest positive root of 27-x^2. You should compare all local maxima in this range along with the values at the endpoints and pick the largest of these values, which will give what you found.

What is the formula for finding the area of a triangle?

The formula for finding the area of a triangle is A = (1/2)bh, where A is the area, b is the length of the base, and h is the height of the triangle.

How do you find the maximum area of a triangle?

The maximum area of a triangle can be found by using the formula A = (1/2)bh, where the base and height are both variables. To maximize the area, you would need to find the values of b and h that result in the largest possible product.

Can you explain the concept of maximizing area of a triangle with an example?

Yes, for example, if you have a triangle with a fixed base of 10 units and a variable height, the maximum area would be achieved when the height is also 10 units. This results in an area of 50 square units, which is the largest possible area for a triangle with a base of 10 units.

What is the relationship between the base and height of a triangle when maximizing area?

The base and height of a triangle have an inverse relationship when maximizing area. This means that as the base increases, the height must decrease in order to keep the product of (1/2)bh constant and achieve the maximum area.

How can the concept of maximizing area of a triangle be applied in real-world scenarios?

The concept of maximizing area of a triangle can be applied in various fields, such as architecture, engineering, and even sports. For example, architects may use this concept to design buildings with the largest possible windows, while engineers may use it to design bridges with the largest possible surface area for better weight distribution. In sports, athletes may use this concept to optimize their jumping or diving techniques in order to cover the largest possible distance or area.