Conservation of angular momentum problem

In summary, the problem involves a proton being shot horizontally at a nucleus and being deflected upwards in a hyperbolic path. The goal is to show that the distance A between the proton's path and another ray out of the nucleus is equal to the distance B above the nucleus. This can be proven using conservation of angular momentum, assuming a perfectly elastic collision and a stationary nucleus. It may also be possible to solve the problem using laws of symmetry.
CharlieManfred

Homework Statement

A proton is shot horizontally at a nucleus on a cartesian plane, a distance B above the nucleus. It is deflected upwards in a hyperbolic path and its path becomes parallel to another ray out of the nucleus, distance A away from this ray. Show that A=B using conservation of angular momentum. Assume that the nucleus does not move and that the collision is perfectly elastic.

Homework Equations

Angular Momentum = Moment of Inertia x Angular Velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no bloody idea where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think energy would probably work too.

Try starting somewhere, otherwise our suggestions will be meaningless.

I can't really try, seeing as I'm completely befuddled. The proton's angular momentum in respect to any point in space isn't constant, because there's an outside bloody force. Trying to use collisions of spherical objects might work, but there's no real R of the nucleus or the proton...Do you think I should just take the cheap way out and do it with laws of symmetry?

1. What is the conservation of angular momentum problem?

The conservation of angular momentum problem is a fundamental concept in physics that states that the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that the angular momentum of an object cannot be created or destroyed, but only transferred between different parts of the system.

2. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved through the interaction of forces and the motion of objects in a system. When an external torque is applied to a system, the angular momentum of the system can change. However, the total angular momentum of the system will remain constant as long as there are no external torques acting on it.

3. What is the equation for calculating angular momentum?

The equation for calculating angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. This equation shows that the angular momentum is directly proportional to the moment of inertia and the angular velocity of the object.

4. What are some real-life examples of conservation of angular momentum?

One example of conservation of angular momentum is the motion of a spinning top. As long as there is no external torque acting on it, the top will continue to spin at a constant rate. Another example is a spinning ice skater, who can increase or decrease their speed by changing the position of their arms, but the total angular momentum of the system remains constant.

5. How does the conservation of angular momentum relate to the laws of motion?

The conservation of angular momentum is a consequence of Newton's laws of motion, specifically the law of conservation of momentum. This law states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. Since angular momentum is a type of momentum, it follows the same principle of conservation.