Double/Triple/Iterated Integrals and Max/Min

• Thread starter SomeGuy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, a double integral is a mathematical operation used to calculate the total value of a function over a two-dimensional region by integrating with respect to two variables. A triple integral is used for three-dimensional regions and is often used in physics and engineering. To evaluate a double integral, you must determine the limits of integration and apply integration rules. A maximum is the largest value of a function and a minimum is the smallest. Iterated integrals can be used to solve difficult double integrals by splitting them into two separate integrals.
SomeGuy
Hi people, I have a midterm for calculus coming up, so I was wondering if you guys could give me some interesting problems regarding double/triple/iterated integrals with change of variables, and max/min.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1) Find the ratio H/R of height to radius to minimize the total surface area of a right-circular cylinder of fixed volume V.

2) Find the integral [tex] I = \iint_R 21y dx dy [/tex] where R is the region above the x-axis and bounded by [tex] y^2 = 4 -4x[/tex] and [tex]y^2 = 4 +4x[/tex]. (I would use a jacobian.)

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation that is used to calculate the total value of a function over a two-dimensional region. It involves integrating a function with respect to two different variables, typically denoted as x and y.

2. When should I use a triple integral?

A triple integral is used when you need to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional region. It involves integrating a function with respect to three different variables, typically denoted as x, y, and z. It is often used in physics and engineering to calculate properties such as mass, center of mass, and moment of inertia.

3. How do I evaluate a double integral?

To evaluate a double integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration for both variables, which define the boundaries of the region you are integrating over. Then, you can apply the rules of integration to solve the integral, which involves finding the antiderivative of the function and plugging in the limits of integration.

4. What is the difference between a maximum and a minimum?

A maximum is the largest value of a function, while a minimum is the smallest value. In the context of double or triple integrals, you may be asked to find the maximum or minimum value of a function over a given region.

5. How do I use iterated integrals to solve a double integral?

An iterated integral is a method of splitting a double integral into two separate integrals, each with respect to a different variable. This is useful when the limits of integration are not easy to determine for both variables at once. By evaluating the inner integral first and then plugging it as the limits for the outer integral, you can solve the double integral using this method.