Electric Shock Causes Ticking Tooth - What Could it Be?

In summary: Do you mean "ticks all the time even when I'm not moving" or "ticks all the time when I'm talking/eating/swearing at the kbd/etc."?I just had an electric shock, not a lethal one, and now i have a tooth that is going tick tick all the time, it is annoying and is hard to ignore.Provided the two events are related (not proven), I'd guess you clenched your teeth and knocked a filling loose.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I just had an electric shock, not a lethal one, it just burnt one finger a bit, but now i have a tooth that is going tick tick all the time, it is annoying and is hard to ignore.
Any one have an idea why??

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
I just had an electric shock, not a lethal one,

:rofl: Glad you clarified that wooly!

I can honestly say I know not why but it sounds pretty impressive. I'd imagine it could tick once if you had a filling and the electricity jumped the gap? Regularly? I couldn't say to tell you the tooth.

Provided the two events are related (not proven), I'd guess you clenched your teeth and knocked a filling loose.

Do you mean "ticks all the time even when I'm not moving" or "ticks all the time when I'm talking/eating/swearing at the kbd/etc."?

Hope you haven't created a time bomb in your mouth..if that's the case...RUN!

From the "Helmock Stones and the Giant Rat of Sumatra" ... with the booby-trapped dog... "Listen! The dog. It has ticks." "Then we must flea!"

Do you mean ticks as in rattles like a tooth or filling is loose (like T_E suggested), or do you mean like a nerve impulse or twitchy feeling? If the former, yeah, you probably knocked something loose. If the latter, you've probably done a bit of nerve damage with the shock. If it still has some sort of sensation, it'll likely only be temporary (sort of like any tingling you'd feel elsewhere too).

twisting_edge said:
Provided the two events are related (not proven), I'd guess you clenched your teeth and knocked a filling loose.

Do you mean "ticks all the time even when I'm not moving" or "ticks all the time when I'm talking/eating/swearing at the kbd/etc."?

It is ticking all the time, even when i sit still, it is about 1 second intervals,
and i do not have a filling in that tooth.

OMG! Your tooth has ticks, so you must flea!:rofl:

turbo-1 said:
OMG! Your tooth has ticks, so you must flea!:rofl:

So now my condition is funny :cry: if it carries on i will be insane in 24hrs:tongue2:

wolram said:
I just had an electric shock, not a lethal one, it just burnt one finger a bit, but now i have a tooth that is going tick tick all the time, it is annoying and is hard to ignore.
Any one have an idea why??

Just so you know, we're physicists, not doctors. :rofl:

Kurdt said:
:rofl: Glad you clarified that wooly!
yeah, the lethal ones hurt like hell.

wolram said:
It is ticking all the time, even when i sit still, it is about 1 second intervals,
and i do not have a filling in that tooth.

I am speculating that you did clench your teeth when you got the jolt. If it caused a tooth to move down of even a bit sideways it will eventually come back to it's original position. One little tick at a time. The least little touch of a tooth against another tooth results in bone (sound) conduction to the middle ear.

For instance it is nearly impossible to touch a tooth with a solid object without hearing it.

Thank you Edward, next time i will make sure i do not clench my teeth.

Math Is Hard said:

And here is me thinking the fatal ones do not hurt :tongue2:

Math Is Hard said:
Not if it's lethal enough.

arunma said:
Just so you know, we're physicists, not doctors. :rofl:
Sounds like you have a case of excessive virtual particles bouncing around inside your tooth wolram.

Is it ticking in concert with your pulse?

1. What causes electric shock sensations in the teeth?

Electric shock sensations in the teeth can be caused by a variety of factors, including dental issues such as damaged fillings or nerves, as well as medical conditions like trigeminal neuralgia or temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ).

2. How does an electric shock cause ticking in the tooth?

When an electric shock is felt in the teeth, it can cause the nerves in the tooth to send signals to the brain. This can result in a sensation of ticking or pulsing in the affected tooth.

3. Can stress or anxiety cause electric shock sensations in the teeth?

While stress and anxiety can contribute to teeth grinding or clenching, which can lead to tooth pain, they are not known to directly cause electric shock sensations in the teeth. It is important to consult a dentist to determine the underlying cause.

4. What should I do if I experience electric shock sensations in my tooth?

If you experience electric shock sensations in your tooth, it is important to schedule an appointment with a dentist as soon as possible. They can perform a thorough examination and determine the cause of the sensation.

5. Is there any way to prevent electric shock sensations in the teeth?

Preventing electric shock sensations in the teeth may depend on the underlying cause. Maintaining good oral hygiene and regular dental check-ups can help prevent dental issues that may lead to these sensations. Avoiding activities that can cause stress to the teeth, such as chewing on hard objects, can also help prevent these sensations.