Help Needed: Solving Trig Equation Involving Arcsin & Arccos

• Thread starter ][nstigator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving proving the relationship between two trigonometric expressions. The attempts at solving the problem include using a right triangle and deriving identities, but it is pointed out that the given relationship is false.
][nstigator
Hey guys, got a small problem and need some help :frown: Homework Statement

Show that

[tex] \arctan{\left( \frac{x}{2} \right)} = \arccos{\left(\frac{2}{\sqrt{4+x^2}}\right)} \ \mbox{for x}\epsilon\mbox{R} [/tex]

The attempt at a solution

Honestly I am pretty stumped from the very beginning...

The only thing I can currently think of to do is go...

[tex] \arctan{\frac{x}{2}} = \frac{\arcsin{\frac{x}{2}}}{\arccos{\frac{x}{2}}} [/tex]

but I am not sure if that is even correct...

Even still, if that is valid, I am still pretty unsure what I am meant to do next..

Any hints to point me in the right direction would be much appreciated :redface:

I hope I did the Latex stuff right, its my first time using it..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a right-triangle and label the sides until you can form a triangle which give s the relationship that you are looking for in your equation. This may give you another formulable relationship which permits you to solve the problem.

I misunderstood the meaning of the problem. You are probably looking for identity relationships to PROVE that your given relation is an identity. Of course, when you draw a right-triangle, you will be able to derive the relationship but you are trying to use a trail of identities to prove this. I wish I could offer better help.

The best that I could do right now is to draw a triangle; I label one of the non-right angles; the side opposite I give as "x"; the side between the referenced angle and the right-angle I give as length 2; pythagorean theorem gives the hypotenuse as (4 + x^2)^(1/2). Continued reference to this triangle gives the arcos expression which you wanted -------- I am not well with being able to prove as you wanted, but maybe you might be able to now?

:confused:
Are you sure you've copies the problem correctly?
What if [tex]x = -2[/tex]?
[tex]\arctan \left( \frac{-2}{2} \right) = \arctan (-1) = -\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]
Whereas:
[tex]\arccos \left( \frac{2}{\sqrt{4 + (-2) ^ 2}} \right) = \arccos \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \right) = \frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]
So:
[tex]\arctan \left( \frac{-2}{2} \right) \neq \arccos \left( \frac{2}{\sqrt{4 + (-2) ^ 2}} \right)[/tex] (Q.E.D)
:smile:

Yup, I definitely copied the problem down correctly... weird huh :(

Either you are not working in principle values or the question is copied down incorrectly.
because [itex] cos \frac{\pi}{4}= cos \frac{- \pi}{4} [/itex]

but the inverse doesn't hold as [itex]cos^{-1} \mbox{has principle range as} [0,\pi] [/itex]

Show that [tex] \arctan{\left( \frac{x}{2} \right)} = \arccos{\left(\frac{2}{\sqrt{4+x^2}}\right)} \ \mbox{for x}\epsilon\mbox{R} [/tex]

..is the question, character for character :frown:

Well, then, the problem cannot be proven. Because, it's... you know, false. o:)

What is the purpose of solving trig equations involving arcsin and arccos?

The purpose of solving trig equations involving arcsin and arccos is to find the values of the unknown angles or sides in a triangle. This is important in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, astronomy, and navigation.

What are the basic steps for solving a trig equation involving arcsin and arccos?

The basic steps for solving a trig equation involving arcsin and arccos are as follows:
1. Rewrite the equation using the inverse trigonometric functions (arcsin and arccos) to isolate the unknown angle.
2. Use the trigonometric identities and rules to simplify the equation.
3. Use a calculator to find the numerical solution.
4. Check the solution by substituting it back into the original equation.
5. If needed, adjust the solution to fit the given restrictions on the angle (e.g. -π/2 < θ < π/2 for arcsin).

What are the common mistakes made when solving trig equations involving arcsin and arccos?

Common mistakes when solving trig equations involving arcsin and arccos include:
- Forgetting to apply the inverse trigonometric function to both sides of the equation
- Using the wrong trigonometric identity or rule
- Using the calculator incorrectly
- Not checking the solution by substituting it back into the original equation
- Forgetting to account for the restrictions on the angle (e.g. only considering the principal values of arcsin and arccos).

How do I know if there are multiple solutions to a trig equation involving arcsin and arccos?

If the equation contains multiple inverse trigonometric functions (e.g. arcsin(x) + arccos(x)), there may be multiple solutions. Additionally, if the equation involves a trigonometric ratio (e.g. sin(x) = cos(x)), there may be multiple solutions. To determine the number of solutions, you can use a graphing calculator or analyze the domain and range of the inverse trigonometric functions involved.

What is the best way to practice solving trig equations involving arcsin and arccos?

The best way to practice solving trig equations involving arcsin and arccos is to work through a variety of examples and exercises. You can find practice problems online or in textbooks, or you can create your own equations to solve. It is also helpful to review the trigonometric identities and rules to ensure you are using them correctly.