VOTE Photo Contest - Ooh, Baby, Baby

In summary, the conversation is about a photo contest for the best baby animal picture. The participants are discussing their favorite photos and debating which one is the best. They also talk about their camera equipment and the benefits of home ownership.

Vote for your favorie baby animal!

• chroot

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Moonbear

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • moe darklight

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Janus

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • ZapperZ

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • turbo-1

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Evo

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • 0TheSwerve0

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Integral

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
VOTE PF Photo Contest - Ooh, Baby, Baby!

This is another really hard decision! Please vote for your favorite baby animal.

1. chroot
http://www.virtualcivilization.org/piggle2-small.jpg [Broken]

2. Moonbear
http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/1680/babiestr1.jpg [Broken]

3. moe darklight
http://aycu28.webshots.com/image/14947/2002676786493424853_rs.jpg

4. Janus
http://home.earthlink.net/~parvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/pups.jpg [Broken]

5. ZapperZ
IMG_7210.jpg

6. turbo-1
babysquirrel.jpg

7. Evo
kittenbp9.jpg

8. 0TheSwerve0
babysquirrelmonkey.jpg

9. Integral
http://home.comcast.net/~Integral50/Photo_contest/HPIM1135a.JPG [Broken]

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=172578"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I went with turbo. Nice pics to all.

I can't decide between guinea pig with huge salad and my cat with its tongue out! they're both too cute.

Why is this a FINAL vote when it is the only one? :uhh:

neutrino said:
Why is this a FINAL vote when it is the only one? :uhh:
Because I said so. :grumpy:

At least I edited the other mistake before you caught it.

Evo said:
At least I edited the other mistake before you caught it.
Good for you. :grumpy:

:biggrin:

I have to go with Chroot's guinea pig! It's so cute, and the angle reminds me of those big head stuffed animals. :biggrin:

Warren, you are crushing my angry baby squirrel! I thought his pouty lower-lip would make him a shoe-in.

Well, I would say that my baby guinea pig could take your angry baby squirrel, but we both know that'd be silly... :uhh: At least on the rodent ass-beating hierarchy, you've bested me. And your picture is honestly technically better. What kind of camera do you use?

- Warren

Thanks for the kind words. I've got a Canon 30D and I shot the tantrum-prone red brat with a 100-400 EF L-series with image stabilization. It would be hard to hand-hold shots like this without the IS and get the sharpness right. I sold a small collection of antique Winchesters to buy this set-up (with an 18-55 kit lens for wide stuff), and frankly, I have a lot more fun with the camera gear than I did with the guns. I would take them out of the safe periodically, clean and oil them, and shoot a few of them on occasion. The camera gets out almost every day or two.

Your camera could most certainly beat up my camera! I long for the day when I can reasonably afford a serious camera rig. I mean, I guess I could, but then there's that whole house-buying thing on the horizon. :frown:

But yeah, great composition, colors, depth of field, etc. Did you crop it? Or were you able to compose that well while you were shooting?

- Warren

Well, I languished for several years with an Olympus 3040 Zoom after selling off my OM-1s (4 of them) and OM-4 and a nice selection of prime Zuiko Lenses. It took a while before I thought DSLRs had progressed to the point at which I could jump in with a reasonable expectation of quality images and not get taken to the cleaners.

My wife and I have been together for nearly 33 years now, and we have leap-frogged through 5 houses in that time (buying, fixing up, and selling) to get to our little dream retirement log house in the country with a nice garden spot and ~10 acres of woods. Patience and discipline will get you there, and I'm sure you'll do well. Good luck with the home ownership thing - building equity sure beats paying rent!

Edit: I spent most of the day weeding this: (look at the last post in the thread) It may seem like overkill owning two large chest freezers, but when you can walk out to the garage and pick out what you'll have for tomorrow's supper without paying a cashier at the local food-o-rama, it feels pretty good, especially when you're sure that you're not going to be eating pesticide residue and/or coming down with an e coli infection.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=74652

Last edited:
chroot said:
But yeah, great composition, colors, depth of field, etc. Did you crop it? Or were you able to compose that well while you were shooting?

- Warren
I cropped the picture before resizing it for the contest, but that was all. I was about 15' away at the time, and he was going though a bunch of poses, twitching his tail, scolding me, glaring, etc (all the stuff red squirrels do to intimidate one another) so I maximized the aperture to keep the DOF shallow and just shot away without much regard for framing - framing is more easily accomplished with the PS crop feature if you have captured sufficient detail in the originals.

What is the purpose of the "VOTE PF Photo Contest - Ooh, Baby, Baby"?

The purpose of the "VOTE PF Photo Contest - Ooh, Baby, Baby" is to showcase and celebrate the beauty and cuteness of babies through photography. It is also a way to engage and involve the community in choosing the best photos.

Who can participate in the "VOTE PF Photo Contest - Ooh, Baby, Baby"?

The contest is open to everyone, regardless of age, gender, or nationality. As long as the photo submitted follows the guidelines and theme of the contest, anyone can participate.

What are the criteria for judging in the "VOTE PF Photo Contest - Ooh, Baby, Baby"?

The photos will be judged based on creativity, composition, technical skill, and adherence to the theme. The judges will also consider the number of votes a photo receives from the community.

How can I vote for my favorite photo in the "VOTE PF Photo Contest - Ooh, Baby, Baby"?

To vote, simply go to the contest page and click on the "Vote" button below your chosen photo. You can also share the photo on social media to encourage others to vote for it.

What are the prizes for the winners of the "VOTE PF Photo Contest - Ooh, Baby, Baby"?

The winners will receive cash prizes, as well as recognition and exposure for their winning photos. They will also have the opportunity to be featured in PF's promotional materials and social media pages.