Solve Geometry Coordinate Homework: |Z-1|+|Z+1|=7

In summary, the equation of the locus Z is an ellipse with its foci at -1 and 1, and its radius is \sqrt{47/2}. However, the given calculations may not be correct and the locus may not be a circle.
nekteo

Homework Statement

Given that Z is a complex number with condition |Z-1|+|Z+1|=7

Illustrate Z on Argand Diagram and write out the equation of Locuz Z

I attempted to figured out the equation of locus Z,
|Z-1|+|Z+1|=7
|x+yi-1|+|x+yi+1|=7
[tex]\sqrt{}[(x-1)^2+y^2][/tex] + [tex]\sqrt{}[(x+1)^2 + y^2][/tex] = 7
[tex]\sqr{}x^2 + 1 - 2x + y^2 + x^2 + 1 + 2x + y^2 = 49[/tex]
[tex]\sqr{}2x^2 + 2y^2 = 47[/tex]

it's not necessary the correct answer though...
however, I can't figure how to illustrate the diagram! help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that your calculations are correct, that gives a circle of radius [tex]\sqrt{47/2}[/tex]. However, I don't think it is... Check your algebra carefully -- squaring both sides doesn't mean get rid of square roots!

Another way to think about it is that the original equation says that the distance from a point on the locus to the points +1 and -1 add up to 7. This is the condition for an ellipse with its foci at -1 and 1! And an ellipse is only a circle if the foci coincide.

Hello! It seems like you are on the right track with solving the equation for the locus of Z. Your final equation, 2x^2 + 2y^2 = 47, is in the form of a circle with center at the origin and radius \sqrt{47/2}. To illustrate this on an Argand diagram, you can plot the center at (0,0) and draw a circle with the calculated radius. This represents all the possible values of Z that satisfy the given equation.

To better understand the concept of locus, think about it as a set of points that satisfy a certain condition. In this case, the condition is |Z-1|+|Z+1|=7. So all the points that lie on the circle you drew on the Argand diagram will satisfy this condition.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your homework!

1. What is the goal of solving "Solve Geometry Coordinate Homework: |Z-1|+|Z+1|=7"?

The goal is to find the values of Z that satisfy the given equation.

2. What are the basic principles of coordinate geometry?

The basic principles of coordinate geometry involve using coordinates on a grid to represent points, lines, and shapes in a plane. This allows for the use of algebraic equations to solve problems involving geometric figures.

3. How do I solve equations involving absolute value in coordinate geometry?

When solving equations involving absolute value in coordinate geometry, it is important to consider all possible cases. You can do this by setting up two equations, one with the absolute value and one without, and then solving for each case. The solutions that satisfy both equations will be the solutions to the original equation.

4. Can I use a graphing calculator to solve "Solve Geometry Coordinate Homework: |Z-1|+|Z+1|=7"?

Yes, you can use a graphing calculator to solve this equation. Simply graph both sides of the equation and find the points of intersection, which will be the values of Z that satisfy the equation.

5. How can I check my answers when solving "Solve Geometry Coordinate Homework: |Z-1|+|Z+1|=7"?

You can check your answers by plugging them back into the original equation and seeing if they satisfy the equation. You can also graph the equation and your solutions to visually confirm if they are correct.