Angle of Queue Ball after elastic collision

In summary, to find the angle \theta with respect to the queue ball's original line of motion in an elastic collision with a stationary eight ball, you must consider conservation of both kinetic energy and momentum. By splitting the velocity into x and y components and using these equations, you can solve for the angle.
luna02525

Homework Statement

Assume an elastic collision (ignoring friction and rotational motion).
A queue ball initially moving at 2.2 m/s strikes a stationary eight ball of the same size and mass. After the collision, the queue ball's final speed is 0.61 m/s.

Find the queue ball's angle [tex]\theta[/tex] with respect to its original line of motion. Answer in units of degrees.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv_1_i^2+\frac{1}{2}mv_2_i^2=\frac{1}{2}mv_1_f^2+\frac{1}{2}mv_2_f^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv_1_i^2+\frac{1}{2}mv_2_i^2=\frac{1}{2}mv_1_f^2+\frac{1}{2}mv_2_f^2[/tex]
[tex]v_1_i^2+v_2_i^2=v_1_f^2+v_2_f^2[/tex]
[tex]v_2_f=2.114 m/s[/tex]

From here I am unsure of how to come to the angle [tex]\theta[/tex] the question is asking for.

I thought it might be:

[tex]tan\theta=\frac{v_2_f}{v_1_i}[/tex]

This is incorrect, though.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't determine the angle just by using the speeds. You have to consider that momentum is also conserved, which is a vector quantity. Choose x and y axes and split into components (each of which is conserved).

You have written equations for kinetic energy conservation. Write an equation for conservation of momentum also. Then solve.

1. What is the angle of the queue ball after an elastic collision?

The angle of the queue ball after an elastic collision depends on the angle at which it collided with the other ball, as well as the masses and velocities of the two balls. This can be calculated using the laws of conservation of momentum and energy.

2. How does the angle of the queue ball affect the outcome of an elastic collision?

The angle of the queue ball plays a crucial role in determining the outcome of an elastic collision. The angle at which the queue ball collides with the other ball will determine the direction and speed at which the other ball will move after the collision.

3. Can the angle of the queue ball change during an elastic collision?

Yes, the angle of the queue ball can change during an elastic collision. This is because the direction and magnitude of the cue ball's velocity can change after the collision, leading to a change in its angle of motion.

4. How does the elasticity of the balls affect the angle of the queue ball after a collision?

The elasticity, or bounciness, of the balls will determine the amount of energy that is conserved during the collision. A more elastic ball will retain more of its energy and bounce off at a larger angle, while a less elastic ball will lose more energy and bounce off at a smaller angle.

5. Is the angle of the queue ball after an elastic collision always the same?

No, the angle of the queue ball after an elastic collision will vary depending on the initial conditions of the collision. Even small changes in factors such as the angle of impact or the mass of the balls can result in different angles of the queue ball after the collision.