Statistic Problems With Quartiles and Standard Deviations

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to cheese and human pregnancy. The first problem involves calculating the percent of data within one, two, and three standard deviations using the mean, median, and standard deviation of lactic acid concentrations in cheddar cheese samples. The second problem asks about the quartiles for the lengths of human pregnancies and how many standard deviations away they lie in a normal distribution. The conversation ends with the speaker seeking guidance on how to approach the second problem.
Rawr
There are two different problems that I am confused with:

1) The taste of mature cheese is related to the concentration of lactic acid in cheese. Use the concentrations of lactic acid in 30 samples of cheddar cheese on page 15.

Well, what's important is that using all the numbers it gave me, the mean is 1.44, the median is 1.45 and the standard deviation is .3035.

Then it asks, "Calculate the percent of data that lie within one, two and three standard deviations. I attempted to work with one standard deviation, but I can't seem to get the right answer, which is 66% (or something close).

What I did was... one standard deviation is 1.45 +/- .3035, which gets 1.15 and 1.75. Then you need to calculate the percentage of numbers that fall within that range.

So, I take the z-score of each number: (1.15 - 1.45)/1.44 = -0.21 and it's the same for the other, except it comes out a positive 0.21 using 1.75 instead of 1.15. Using the A chart.. I get numbers of .4168 and .5832 respectively. Subtracting them gives me something like.. 12%. What am I doing wrong? Am I even in the right direction?

The second question..is "How many standard deviations away from the mean do the quartiles lie in any normal distribution? What are the quartile for the lengths of human pregnancies? (which says that... for human pregnancies, the mean is 266 days and the Standard deviation is 16 days)

Frankly, I have no idea how to start and I was hoping I would get a little push in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
z_ = 0 - 1 = -1 is the standard z score for "one std below" and z+ = 0 + 1 = +1 is for "one std above."

1. What is a quartile in statistics?

A quartile is a type of measure that divides a set of data into four equal parts. The first quartile (Q1) represents the 25th percentile, the second quartile (Q2) represents the 50th percentile (also known as the median), and the third quartile (Q3) represents the 75th percentile. The fourth quartile (Q4) is the highest value in the data set.

2. How do I calculate quartiles?

To calculate quartiles, you first need to arrange the data in ascending order. Then, find the median of the data set. This will be the second quartile (Q2). Next, find the median of the lower half of the data set, which will be the first quartile (Q1). Finally, find the median of the upper half of the data set, which will be the third quartile (Q3).

3. What is the purpose of quartiles in statistics?

Quartiles are used to divide a data set into four equal parts, providing a way to understand the spread and distribution of the data. They can also be used to compare different data sets and identify outliers.

4. What is standard deviation in statistics?

Standard deviation is a measure of how much the data values deviate from the mean. It is calculated by finding the difference between each data value and the mean, squaring these differences, finding the average of the squared differences, and then taking the square root of that average.

5. How is standard deviation used in data analysis?

Standard deviation is used to measure the variability or spread of a data set. It helps to identify how much the data values differ from the mean and can indicate the presence of outliers. It is also used to calculate confidence intervals and determine the statistical significance of results.