Texas Lutheran University Course Suggestions for Freshman Math Student

In summary: So if i am not to take College algebra, then what do i take instead?In summary, the recommended courses to take as a freshman at Texas Lutheran University for a student studying mathematics are Calculus I and II, Linear Algebra, and possibly Calculus III. It is also suggested to take a logic course to prepare for the type of thinking needed in advanced math classes. Courses such as Basic Mathematics and College Algebra may not be necessary for a math major.
sutupidmath
Hi everybody, i will be soon starting my studings at Texas Lutheran University, in particular this spring semester. My classes begin on 15 january, so i thought to make a list of courses that i will take on my first year as a freshman there. I will be studing mathematics. I do not yet know for sure which courses i am allowed to take as a freshman there, however i will list some of the courses here and i would love to receive any advices form ur side. SO which of the courses listed below do u think i should defenitely take on my first year:

1. MATH 132. Basic Mathematics (3:3:0)
An introduction to computation, problem solving, and college algebra.
2.MATH 133. College Algebra (3:3:0)
Functions and graphs, polynomials, rational functions, exponential and logarithmic functions.
3.MATH 138. Elementary Functions (3:3:0)
The study of elementary functions, their graphs and applications, including polynomial, rational, exponential, logarithmic and trigonometric functions. Prerequisite: MATH 133, or Math SAT greater than 480, or ACT greater than 21
4.MATH 172. College Mathematics (3:3:0)
Sets and problem solving, sets of numbers, equations, inequalities, function and graphs, geometry, counting techniques, statistics. Does not count towards math major or minor.
5.MATH 231-232. Calculus I, II (3:3:0)
Differential and integral calculus of algebraic, exponential, logarithmic transcendental functions, sequences, and infinite series. Prerequisite: MATH 138, or Math SAT greater than 620 or ACT greater than 31.
6.MATH 233. Discrete Mathematics (3:3:0)
Sets, functions; logic and logic circuits; relations on sets; combinatorics; introduction to graph theory. Prerequisite: MATH 231.
7.MATH 136. Calculus for Business, Economics and Social Sciences (3:3:0)
Differential and integral calculus with applications to business, economics, and social sciences. Prerequisite: MATH 133.
8. MATH 335. Introduction to Abstract Algebra (3:3:0)
An introduction to some modern topics in mathematics. Elementary set theory, groups, rings, fields. Prerequisite: MATH 232, 238.
9.MATH 238. Elementary Linear Algebra (3:3:0)
Introduction to elementary linear algebra with emphasis on systems of linear equations, finite dimensional vector spaces, linear transformations, matrices, eigenvalues, eigenvectors, and applications. Prerequisite: MATH 231

I listed only the courses i think i could handle as a freshman there. I don't know some of them might not be designated for the first year. However here is the link to the math department if anyone at all will take the pain to try to give me some suggestions.

http://www.tlu.edu/mathematics

Many thanks in advance.
v.b

Physics news on Phys.org
Without a little more information about your background, this is nearly impossible to answer.

1-4 seem like remedial courses or courses for non-math majors who have to fulfill a mathematics requirement. 7 also is not a course for math majors.

Calculus I and II seem like the obvious choice, with Linear Algebra in the second semester as well. (I'm assuming that since you want to study mathematics, you've already had a decent precalculus course in high school so you already know most if not all of what is taught in 1-4. If not, you might want to consider one of these instead of calculus.)

Last edited:
well about my background. I have graduated from high school recently. I have tried to teach myself calculus one, including sequences, functions, the limit of sequences and functions, the derivative of elementary functions, their graph, the indefinite integration of elementary functions, including transcendental ones, the defenite integral of el functions, i also have a solid background on numerical infinite and finite series. I also know some stuf on the logic of mathematics, some elementary issues on combinatorics, sets, predicates, vectors, geometry( euclidian one), i also know some stuff on the areas of second degree( elipses, parabolas, hiperbolas and so on) etc. At the moment i am self studing the axiomatic set theory of numbers, that is how are the sets of naturals, integers, rationals and reals axiomaticaly constructed. and so on.
I hope this helps.

So what do u think now?

Last edited:
Yeah, take 1-4 and 7 right off your list. The big question is exactly how much calculus do you know? If you feel *very* comfortable with all of it, you might want to see if you can somehow test out of Calculus I. (If you have *any* doubts, don't even try. Better to be slightly bored for a semester than to get in over your head.)

But I stick with my recommendation of Calculus I initially, Calculus II and Linear Algebra right after that.

If you have studied calculus, then as said above strike out all those intro to college algebra classes
if you don't want to study business, rather you want to study math or science then strike out the calc for business
The Calc I-II sequence is common for college freshmen, I think you would find it easy
The other two, abstract algebra and linear algebra both require the calc class. SO unless you can convince the school that you don't need to take the calc class, your best bet is freshmen year take calc I-II and sophomore year take Linear Algebra Abstract Algebra and maybe Calc III if they offer it

The most common approach is to start with calc I, move to calc II, take some linear algebra, Calc III, and then diffy eq. After that people tend to go their separate ways.

thank you for your advices guys. That is almost what i had in mind, i thought to go with
2,3 and 5, that is College Algebra, ELementary functions and Calculus I and II. I think i will have no difficulties at all handeling these courses on my first year.
thnx

I have never heard of a math major taking college algebra. If you can teach yourself calculus, it would be a complete waste of time.

One course I would recommend (if your university offers it) is logic. It's a great way to prepare for the kind of thinking you'll need later on. It's also usually offered through the philosophy department, so you could take it concurrently with whatever math classes you're taking.

well, thank you guys i really appreciate it.

1. What math courses are recommended for freshman students at Texas Lutheran University?

The recommended math courses for freshman students at Texas Lutheran University are College Algebra (MATH 1331) and Trigonometry (MATH 1332).

2. Can I take higher level math courses as a freshman at Texas Lutheran University?

Yes, if you have placement credit or have taken AP Calculus in high school, you can enroll in Calculus I (MATH 1431) as a freshman at Texas Lutheran University.

3. Are there any math courses that fulfill general education requirements at Texas Lutheran University?

Yes, both College Algebra (MATH 1331) and Applied Calculus (MATH 1342) fulfill the math general education requirement at Texas Lutheran University.

4. Is it recommended to take math courses every semester at Texas Lutheran University?

It is not required to take math courses every semester at Texas Lutheran University, but it is recommended to maintain a consistent understanding of mathematical concepts and skills.

5. Are there any math courses specifically for non-math majors at Texas Lutheran University?

Yes, there are math courses specifically designed for non-math majors at Texas Lutheran University, such as Mathematics for Business and Social Sciences (MATH 1333) and Finite Mathematics (MATH 1341).