Magnetic confinement field range

In summary: But you would then need a more stable field which I don't think can be generated without the use of explosives.
Relena
How would using a kilo Tesla magnetic field (quite strong I know) affect magnetic confinement fusion.

can this overcome main difficulties ?

I think if the field was stable for enough time this would increase plasma lifetime and the reaction cross section .

I know that a kilo Tesla pulsed field was generated using destructive coils but it's not stable enough, but I hope higher stability will be achieved..

Any thoughts ...

Engineering news on Phys.org
I believe the strongest superconducting magnets produce fields of about 10-15 T in steady-state, but certainly stronger fields can be produced explosively, but that means short term transients.

Also realize that the pressure of a magnetically confined plasma is proportional to B2 - so if one does a magnetic field of say 1 kTesla, try to determine the pressure, then determined the stress in the magnetic or containment vessel necessary to hold that pressure. I don't believe there is a material strong enough - or one would require substantial mass/cross section.

The reaction cross section is a function of kinetic energy of the particles, so confinement won't affect it, but the reaction rate will increase if the density is higher. Lifetime should increase as well, since a plasma under that much pressure shouldn't lose energy to its surroundings.

But you have to take into account how this field will affect other operations, like the magnetic field used for ohmic heating, or the flow of coolant in the shielding and blanket. What might be good for the plasma might be bad for the rest of the system.

Ok then , Isn't there any way to use a low (primary) field for heating plasma then,
inducing the pulsed kilo Tesla field to cause fusion?

I think if the magnetic field was insulated well (magnetic screens , etc..) this may not affect other operations , or am I mistaken?

1. What is a magnetic confinement field range?

A magnetic confinement field range refers to the spatial extent of a magnetic field that is used to contain and control plasma in a fusion reactor. This field is essential for keeping the hot plasma away from the walls of the reactor and allowing it to reach the necessary temperatures for fusion reactions to occur.

2. How is the magnetic confinement field range determined?

The magnetic confinement field range is determined by the strength and shape of the magnetic field that is produced by electromagnets surrounding the plasma in the reactor. This field needs to be strong enough to contain the plasma, but not too strong as to disrupt the stability of the plasma.

3. What are some methods for controlling the magnetic confinement field range?

One method for controlling the magnetic confinement field range is by adjusting the strength and shape of the electromagnets. Another method is by using different types of magnetic field configurations, such as toroidal or helical, to achieve a desired field range.

4. How does the magnetic confinement field range impact fusion reactions?

The magnetic confinement field range is crucial for achieving and maintaining the necessary conditions for fusion reactions to occur. If the field range is too small, the plasma will come into contact with the reactor walls and lose energy, preventing fusion. If the field range is too large, the plasma may become unstable and also prevent fusion from occurring.

5. What are the challenges in maintaining a stable magnetic confinement field range?

Maintaining a stable magnetic confinement field range is a major challenge in fusion research. This is because small disruptions or instabilities in the plasma can cause the magnetic field to change, which can then affect the plasma and lead to further disruptions. Additionally, as the plasma heats up, it can become less stable, making it more difficult to maintain the desired field range.