Minimum Coefficient of Friction for a Banked Curve

• Thread starter 72_Cutlass_S
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the problem involves finding the minimum coefficient of friction between tires and road for a banked circular highway curve designed for a speed of 70 km/h. The given values are the radius of the curve (215 m) and the speed of traffic on a rainy day (40 km/h). Using the equation tan(x)=v^2/Rg, the angle x is found to be 3.353. However, there may be a problem with the given speed as friction is not needed at 70 km/h. There is also a typo in the first equation and a minus sign in the wrong place in the second to last line.
72_Cutlass_S
Hello, I'm towards the end of my first semester of Physics 1 (cal based) and I've had this homework problem that has been making want to pull my hair out. I know that the coeffeicent of friction is between 0 and 1 and I have worked out the problem like my professor did but keep getting the wrong answer. Thank you for any help.

Michael

Homework Statement

A banked circular highway curve is designed for traffic moving at 70 km/h. The radius of the curve is 215 m. Traffic is moving along the highway at 40 km/h on a rainy day. What is the minimum coefficient of friction between tires and road that will allow cars to negotiate the turn without sliding off the road?

Homework Equations

f-mg*sin(x)=ma*cos(x)
N-mg*cos(x)=ma*sin(x)

tan(x)=v^2/Rg

where:
m= mass = cancels out
g= gravity = 9.8 m/s^2
a= acceleration = v^2/R = 11.11^2/215 = .574 m/s^2
x= angle
v= velocity = 40 km/h = 11.11 m/s
R= radius = 215m

The Attempt at a Solution

coefficent of friction = (g*sin(x)-a*cos(x))/(g*cos(x)+a*sin(x))

x= tan^-1(11.11^2/(215*9.8))
x= 3.353

f = (9.8*sin(3.353)-.574*cos(3.353))
(9.8*cos(3.353)-.574*sin(3.353))

f = -1.01*10^-15

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi 72_Cutlass_S,

I think there is a problem with your angle. When the problem says that the highway is designed for a speed of 70km/h, that means that at that speed friction is not needed to carry the car around the curve. The formula [itex]\tan\theta = v^2/(rg)[/itex] applies to that special speed. So I think you put in the wrong speed.

There is also a typo in your first equation (f-mg*sin(x)=ma*cos(x)); the right hand side needs a negative sign to be consistent with the left hand side. However, the minus sign appears later on, which is why I think it you just accidently left it out.

The next to the last line also has a minus sign in the denominator which I don't think should be there.

First of all, great job on working through the problem and showing your work! It's important to understand the concepts and equations behind the problem rather than just trying to plug in numbers and get the right answer.

Now, to address your issue with getting the wrong answer. I noticed that you used 9.8 m/s^2 as the value for acceleration due to gravity, but in this problem, we are dealing with a circular motion, so the acceleration is given by v^2/R, not just 9.8 m/s^2. So, your value of a = 0.574 m/s^2 is correct, but you should use this value in your calculations instead of 9.8 m/s^2.

Also, I would suggest using the formula for the minimum coefficient of friction, which is μ = tan(x), where x is the angle of the banked curve. In this case, x = tan^-1(11.11^2/(215*0.574)) = 3.36 degrees. Using this value for x, you should get a coefficient of friction of μ = 0.059.

I hope this helps and keep up the good work! Don't hesitate to ask for help if you're still having trouble with this problem.

What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is a dimensionless value that represents the ratio of the force required to move one surface over the other to the force holding them together.

How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the frictional force by the normal force, which is the force exerted by one surface on the other. The result is a number between 0 and 1, with lower values indicating less resistance and higher values indicating more resistance.

What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by several factors, including the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness or smoothness of the surfaces, the amount of force pressing the surfaces together, and the material properties of the surfaces.

Why is the coefficient of friction important?

The coefficient of friction is important in many fields, including physics, engineering, and materials science. It helps us understand and predict how objects will interact and move against each other, which is crucial for designing and building structures and machines.

How can the coefficient of friction be reduced?

The coefficient of friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces in contact. Other methods include using smoother materials, reducing the force pressing the surfaces together, and applying a protective coating to the surfaces.