Measurements of the Speed of Light

In summary: So the final answer is 299735000 m/s?In summary, we can find the speed of light by measuring the time it takes a laser beam to travel from Earth, reflect from the retroreflector on the Moon, and return to Earth. The measured time interval is 2.51 seconds. By taking into account the center-to-center distance from the Earth to the Moon, which is 3.84 x 10^8 m, and subtracting the radii of the Earth and the Moon, we can calculate the speed of light to be 299735000 m/s.
clairez93

Homework Statement

The Apollo 11 astronauts set up a highly reflecting panel on the Moon's surface. The speed of light can be found by measuring the time it takes a laser beam to travel from Earth, reflect from the retroreflector, and return to Earth. If this interval is measured to be 2.51 s, what is the measured speed of light? Take the center-to-center distance from the Earth to the Moon to be 3.84 x 10^8 m and do not neglect the sizes of the Earth and the Moon.

Homework Equations

none given in the section

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to simply to divide 3.84 x 10^8 m by 2.51, which got me the ansewr of 152988047.8 The book's answer is 299.5 Mm/s. I'm thinking my mistake is that I didn't do anything with the sizes of the Earth and the Moon, but I'm not sure how to incorporate those into this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
clairez93 said:

Homework Statement

The Apollo 11 astronauts set up a highly reflecting panel on the Moon's surface. The speed of light can be found by measuring the time it takes a laser beam to travel from Earth, reflect from the retroreflector, and return to Earth. If this interval is measured to be 2.51 s, what is the measured speed of light? Take the center-to-center distance from the Earth to the Moon to be 3.84 x 10^8 m and do not neglect the sizes of the Earth and the Moon.

Homework Equations

none given in the section

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to simply to divide 3.84 x 10^8 m by 2.51, which got me the ansewr of 152988047.8 The book's answer is 299.5 Mm/s. I'm thinking my mistake is that I didn't do anything with the sizes of the Earth and the Moon, but I'm not sure how to incorporate those into this problem.
That was indeed your mistake: The distance given is the distance from the centre of the Earth to the centre of the moon. Does the laser travel from the centre of the Earth to the centre of the moon?

Hm, I guess not. So should I subtract the radii values of the sun and moon from the distance to get from surface to surface?
If I do that, I then get 375884500/2.51, which comes out to 149754780.9 m/s, which is still wrong, I believe.

You've got it--I think you meant subtract the radii of the Earth and the moon though, not the sun. Think about it--velocity is distance over time--so you get...

[tex]c= 2\left(\frac{3.84 \times 10^8 - (E_R+m_R)}{2.51}\right)[/tex]

Oh, right. I forgot to multiply by 2.

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a fundamental physical constant that represents the speed at which electromagnetic radiation travels in a vacuum. This speed is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second or 186,282 miles per second.

2. How is the speed of light measured?

The speed of light can be measured using various methods, including the use of a laser and a rotating mirror, the use of interferometry, or the calculation of the time it takes for light to travel a known distance. These methods all rely on the principles of optics and accurate timing.

3. Why is the speed of light considered a universal constant?

The speed of light is considered a universal constant because it does not change regardless of the observer's frame of reference. This means that no matter how fast an observer is moving or in which direction, they will always measure the speed of light to be the same value.

4. How accurate are the measurements of the speed of light?

The measurements of the speed of light are extremely accurate, with the current accepted value being 299,792,458 meters per second. This value has been verified through numerous experiments and has remained consistent throughout history.

5. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to the theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum. This is known as the cosmic speed limit. While some particles may appear to travel faster than light, they are actually moving through a medium and not in a true vacuum.