Engineering undergrad in need of some guidence.

In summary, the speaker is currently an Aerospace Engineering student who has been accepted to transfer into the Mechanical Engineering Department. They are concerned that an Aerospace degree may limit their job options in terms of type, location, and industry. They are considering switching majors but are unsure if they will have another chance to transfer into ME. They are also interested in Mechatronics and Fluid Mechanics, which are concentrations in the ME degree. They are looking for advice and personal experiences to help them make a decision. The speaker acknowledges that there is a lot of crossover between the two disciplines in the aerospace industry and asks for clarification on whether an ME degree would still be valuable in this field. They also suggest considering their specific interests within aerospace and how they align with ME
seanistic
Hi,
I am currently an Aerospace Engineering student at UT-Austin and this summer I was accepted to transfer into the Mechanical Engineering Department. Here is my problem, I have been interested in aviation since I was a 10 so the ASE degree should be perfect for me but I am afraid the ASE degree will limit my options of job type, location, and industry. I know ME is a much more broad degree and will allow me to have a greater selection of what type of industry I want to work. I have till the end of the summer to decided if I would like to switch majors and I doubt I will have another chance at transferring into ME because of how competitive it is (not really sure how I pulled it off this time). I have a number of friends in ASE who are desperately trying to get into ME but have gotten rejected the last two semesters and I'm afraid if I pass this up I won't have another chance. I should also add that I am interested in Mechatronics and Fluid Mechanics which are concentrations in the ME degree so I am not basing my decision just on job opportunities.

My question is this. Am I correct that an Aerospace degree would limit my job type, location, and industry more than a Mechanical degree? Would it be possible for me to get an ME degree and work in the aerospace industry. Or maybe even have the ASE degree and use it outside of the aerospace industry. What are the possibilities of switching the industry I am in once I get a feel of what I am doing.

If you have any information, personal experience, or anything that would help me in my decision post away. I guess I just don't know what is going to interest me in 10 years and I don't want to limit myself.

Thanks,
Sean

Physics news on Phys.org
There are tons of us MEs in the aerospace industry. There are a lot of things involved in aircraft and engine designs that are more suited to mechanical. It is impossible to really say with any certainty that an aerospace degree would limit you. There is so much mixture of disciplines these days. If you were to interview for a job that needed an ME and you demonstrated the required knowledge, I can't see the aero degree as being a hindrance.

Ask yourself this: When you say you are interested in aerospace, what about aerospace is it that you would want to concentrate on? Perhaps the things you like are more along the lines of ME. You need to look at what you really would want to do and go from there.

I would like to provide you with some guidance on your decision. Firstly, it's great that you have a passion for aviation and that the Aerospace Engineering degree seems perfect for you. However, it's important to consider the long-term implications of your degree choice. While it may seem limiting to have an ASE degree in terms of job type, location, and industry, it's also important to remember that the aerospace industry is constantly evolving and there are always new opportunities emerging. Additionally, your interests in Mechatronics and Fluid Mechanics can still be pursued within the ASE degree, so it's not a decision solely based on job opportunities.

On the other hand, a Mechanical Engineering degree does offer a wider range of job opportunities, but it's important to research and consider if these job options align with your interests and goals. It is possible to work in the aerospace industry with an ME degree, but it may require additional education or experience in the field.

It's also important to keep in mind that your degree does not define your career path. Many individuals switch industries or job types throughout their careers, so it's not impossible to switch from the aerospace industry if you choose to pursue an ASE degree.

Ultimately, the decision should be based on your interests and goals. It's important to choose a degree that you are passionate about and will keep you motivated throughout your career. I would recommend talking to professionals in both industries and exploring your options before making a decision. Good luck with your decision!

1. What types of engineering should I consider studying in my undergrad?

There are many different types of engineering, including mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, and computer engineering, among others. It's important to research each type to determine which one aligns with your interests and career goals.

2. How do I choose a university or program for engineering?

When considering universities or programs for engineering, it's important to research their curriculum, faculty, and resources. You should also consider factors such as location, cost, and opportunities for hands-on experience and internships.

3. What skills are important for success in an engineering program?

Strong math and science skills are crucial for success in an engineering program, as well as critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills. Time management and the ability to work in teams are also important.

4. How can I prepare for a career in engineering while in undergrad?

You can prepare for a career in engineering by taking relevant courses, participating in internships or research opportunities, and joining engineering clubs or organizations. You can also build your skills through projects and extracurricular activities.

5. What are some common career paths for engineering graduates?

Engineering graduates can pursue a variety of career paths, including working in industries such as aerospace, automotive, construction, energy, and technology. They may also choose to work in research or pursue advanced degrees in engineering or related fields.