Why are London dispersion forces attractive?

In summary, the conversation discusses the nature of London dispersion forces and whether they are attractive or repulsive. It is clarified that these forces are always attractive due to the formation of transient dipoles in molecules, which induce dipoles in nearby molecules. The conversation also mentions the difficulty in finding a direct answer to this question in basic chemistry books and online sources.
fedaykin
I've looked around in my basic chemistry books and haven't seen this directly answered, and I'm having trouble with it on the internet too.

Wouldn't said force be repulsive just as often as attractive and therefore have no net force?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
London forces are considered both attractive and repulsive fedaykin!
Hope that helps.

No Ed, London dispersion forces are always attractive. These are also known as induced dipole-induced dipole interactions. In one molecule, a transient dipole can be formed from there temporarily being more electrons on one side of the atom/molecule than the other. This transient dipole will then induce a dipole (uneven distribution of electrons) in a nearby atom/molecule. This induced dipole in the second molecule will always point in the same way as the dipole of the first molecule, resulting in an attractive interaction. A dipole will never induce a dipole that results in a repulsive interaction (as an analogy, putting a bar magnet next to another bar magnet will never cause the second magnet to align itself to repel itself from the first magnet).

Ah, thank you very much. I'm trying to become more diligent in my reading. That's hard for me, especially at 3:00 a.m.

1. What are London dispersion forces?

London dispersion forces, also known as van der Waals forces, are a type of intermolecular force that exists between all molecules. They are the weakest type of intermolecular force and are caused by temporary fluctuations in the electron distribution within a molecule, creating temporary dipoles.

2. How do London dispersion forces contribute to the attraction between molecules?

London dispersion forces are attractive forces that arise due to the temporary dipoles created by the uneven distribution of electrons within a molecule. These forces contribute to the overall attraction between molecules and play a crucial role in determining the physical properties of substances.

3. Why are London dispersion forces considered to be weak compared to other intermolecular forces?

London dispersion forces are considered to be weak because they are caused by temporary dipoles and do not involve any permanent charges. They are also weaker than other intermolecular forces such as hydrogen bonding and dipole-dipole interactions.

4. Do all molecules experience London dispersion forces?

Yes, all molecules experience London dispersion forces. This is because they are caused by the movement of electrons within a molecule, which occurs in all substances. However, the strength of these forces may vary depending on the size and shape of the molecule.

5. How do London dispersion forces contribute to the boiling point of a substance?

London dispersion forces play a significant role in determining the boiling point of a substance. As the strength of these forces increases, so does the boiling point. This is because the stronger the intermolecular forces, the more energy is required to break them and transition from a liquid to a gas state.