Is the integral of a non-negative function always positive?

• Thread starter jenga42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, if a(x)<b(x) between the values x_i and x_f then is the following also true?...int_{x_i}^{x_f} dx f(x) a(x) < int_{x_i}^{x_f} dx f(x) b(x) where f(x)>0 for all x.
jenga42
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out if this is true - any help would be greatly appreciated!

If a(x) < b(x) between the values x_i and x_f then is the following also true?...

int_{x_i}^{x_f} dx f(x) a(x) < int_{x_i}^{x_f} dx f(x) b(x)

where f(x)>0 for all x.

...I think it is true, but I'd like to be able to prove it!

Thanks,

Jenny

Physics news on Phys.org
Your notation is a bit awkward. Are f(x)a(x) and f(x)b(x) the integrands?

If f is continuous (you will definitely need that, I think) and the interval is finite, then you could probably estimate it by its maximum and do a series of inequalities like
[tex]| \int_a^b f(x) p(x) dx | < | f(x) p(x) (b - a) | < \cdots[/tex]

Or you could try considering
[tex]\int_a^b f(x) (p(x) - q(x) ) [/tex]
and showing that it is positive (for q(x) < p(x) everywhere).

You don't need continuity or anything of the sort -- the integral is monotone. That is, if h and k are integrable on [a,b], and h(x)<=k(x) for all x in [a,b], then

[tex]\int_a^b h(x) dx \leq \int_a^b k(x) dx.[/tex]

Edit: Oh. Maybe that's what you were saying here:
CompuChip said:
[tex]\int_a^b f(x) (p(x) - q(x) ) [/tex]

Hi,

Thanks for replying! I didn't know I could type the equations!

Just to clarify, I meant if a(x)<b(x), can I say

[tex]\int_{x_i}^{x_f} f(x) a(x) dx < \int_{x_i}^{x_f} f(x) b(x) dx[/tex]

where f(x)>0.

I'd like to know if there is a general theorem for this to be true? ...I think that (please correct me if I'm wrong!) I could only use

[tex]\int_a^b f(x) (p(x) - q(x) )[/tex]

for a specific f(x).

What does "the integral is monotone" mean?

Thanks!

I've just had a thought, can I just say that as f(x)>0, then it cannot change the direction of the inequality, hence if a(x)<b(x) , then multiplying both sides by f(x), we find f(x)a(x)<f(x)b(x) and therefore

[tex]\int_{x_i}^{x_f} f(x)a(x) dx < \int_{x_i}^{x_f} f(x)b(x) dx [/tex]

?

This is assuming that if a(x)<b(x), then

[tex]\int_{x_i}^{x_f} a(x) dx < \int_{x_i}^{x_f} b(x) dx [/tex]

But I don't understand why this second equation is true - I've tried looking up monotone functions, but haven't found anything useful!

Thanks

jenga42 said:
I've just had a thought, can I just say that as f(x)>0, then it cannot change the direction of the inequality, hence if a(x)<b(x) , then multiplying both sides by f(x), we find f(x)a(x)<f(x)b(x) and therefore

[tex]\int_{x_i}^{x_f} f(x)a(x) dx < \int_{x_i}^{x_f} f(x)b(x) dx [/tex]
That's perfect. (But you should be using [itex]\leq[/itex] instead of [itex]<[/itex].)

This is assuming that if a(x)<b(x), then

[tex]\int_{x_i}^{x_f} a(x) dx < \int_{x_i}^{x_f} b(x) dx [/tex]

But I don't understand why this second equation is true
This should be straightforward to prove if you just use the definition of the integral. To make it even easier, you can prove the following:

If c(x) is integrable on [x_i, x_f] and if c(x)>=0 for all x in [x_i, x_f], then

[tex]\int_{x_i}^{x_f} c(x) \geq 0.[/tex]

[Once you do this, you can put c(x)=b(x)-a(x) to get the result you want.]

1. Is this inequality true for all values?

It depends on the specific inequality in question. Some inequalities may be true for all values, while others may only hold for certain values or conditions.

2. How do I determine if an inequality is true?

The best way to determine if an inequality is true is to manipulate the expression and use mathematical operations to simplify it. This will help you see if the two sides of the inequality are equivalent.

3. Can I use substitution to prove an inequality?

Yes, substitution can be a useful tool in proving inequalities. By substituting different values for the variables in the inequality, you can see if the inequality holds true for all values or if there are any exceptions.

4. Is it possible for an inequality to be both true and false?

No, an inequality cannot be both true and false. It can only be one or the other. However, sometimes an inequality may be true for some values and false for others, which can be confusing.

5. Can I use graphs to prove an inequality?

Yes, graphs can be a helpful visual tool in determining the truth of an inequality. By graphing both sides of the inequality and seeing where they intersect, you can determine if the inequality is true or not.