Degree Planning for Engineering/Business. .

• Engineering
  • Thread starter WolfpackPride
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary: Thanks!Most of the engineering managers I know (middle management) don't have MBA's, just a BS in engineering (and a lot of experience). If you want to move into upper-level management, a MBA would be a good addition to your skillset.
WolfpackPride
Hey Guys.

I'm a freshman EE and have been thinking about what my plan of work in terms of class schedule should be. I want to work as an engineer, but eventually would like to move up into management (not upper-level management because I still want to work be involved in projects) or a senior engineering position. I'd be a liar if I said that money had nothing at all to do with it, but I know that its definitely not everything. I'm not the most outgoing, energetics type of person, but I like to solve problems and budgeting money comes naturally to me (in my opinion lol) So basically, I'm planning to stick with my EE degree but am considering additional business courses so if I do manage to break into management/an MBA program) eventually, there won't be such a steep learning curve. I have several options.

Just take a couple business classes as electives

Minor in business administration or economics

Apply for my school's BSEE/MSM program (Bachelors of Science in EE/Masters of Management dual degree)

Complete a double degree in EE/CE (3 extra classes) + a minor in Mathematics (1 or 2 extra classes) and just focus on that until I get a job and ask to get an MBA after some years of work)

I'm trying to roughly plan things out so that I don't unnecessarily waste time/money/opportunities that could have been used more wisely. By the way, I am also hoping to get into the co-op program..and will most likely stay in that for the whole 12 month duration if possible.

By the way, I know that a degree doesn't necessarily 'entitle' me to a job, but I fell that it increases chances.

SORRY FOR THE LONG READ but as you can tell, I am a tad bit confused on what to do so any input/comments/suggestions (etc) are appreciated.

Thank You For Your Time!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
WolfpackPride said:
Hey Guys.

I'm a freshman EE and have been thinking about what my plan of work in terms of class schedule should be. I want to work as an engineer, but eventually would like to move up into management (not upper-level management because I still want to work be involved in projects) or a senior engineering position. I'd be a liar if I said that money had nothing at all to do with it, but I know that its definitely not everything. I'm not the most outgoing, energetics type of person, but I like to solve problems and budgeting money comes naturally to me (in my opinion lol) So basically, I'm planning to stick with my EE degree but am considering additional business courses so if I do manage to break into management/an MBA program) eventually, there won't be such a steep learning curve. I have several options.

Just take a couple business classes as electives

Minor in business administration or economics

Apply for my school's BSEE/MSM program (Bachelors of Science in EE/Masters of Management dual degree)

Complete a double degree in EE/CE (3 extra classes) + a minor in Mathematics (1 or 2 extra classes) and just focus on that until I get a job and ask to get an MBA after some years of work)

I'm trying to roughly plan things out so that I don't unnecessarily waste time/money/opportunities that could have been used more wisely. By the way, I am also hoping to get into the co-op program..and will most likely stay in that for the whole 12 month duration if possible.

By the way, I know that a degree doesn't necessarily 'entitle' me to a job, but I fell that it increases chances.

SORRY FOR THE LONG READ but as you can tell, I am a tad bit confused on what to do so any input/comments/suggestions (etc) are appreciated.

Thank You For Your Time!

What type of management (i.e. middle or top-level management)?

Most of the engineering managers I know (middle management) don't have MBA's, just a BS in engineering (and a lot of experience).

For top-level management (Vice-president/executive type roles), MBA's are a great help for an engineer. Most MBA's programs require some bridge courses to prepare you for that program. Take a look at some of the programs online and see what you might need and consider taking them as electives.

The BSEE/MSM program at NC State (I presume that is where you go based on your screen-name) is a great choice for what you are interested in. I personally would do that…but that’s just my opinion.

Hope this helps.

CS

I aiming for middle to perhaps upper level management (considering I can make it that far, of course). To me, anything past that isn't engineering at all and is strictly business (Correct me if I am wrong).

Just to clarify, would someone care to elaborate on the levels of management as far as engineering goes? It would really help me out. I suppose they would be a little different from a traditional business...maybe something like entry-level engineer, project leader, team leader, senior engineer, manager, department manager, Director, VP, President? Also, I know that it varies, but about how long does it usually take for someone with an engineering/business degree (such as that bsee/msm..and yes, I do go to NCSU) to work their way into a management level role?

WolfpackPride said:
I aiming for middle to perhaps upper level management (considering I can make it that far, of course). To me, anything past that isn't engineering at all and is strictly business (Correct me if I am wrong).

It wouldn't be engineering in the sense you are thinking. The duties would entail budgeting, strategic planning, etc.

WolfpackPride said:
Just to clarify, would someone care to elaborate on the levels of management as far as engineering goes? It would really help me out. I suppose they would be a little different from a traditional business...maybe something like entry-level engineer, project leader, team leader, senior engineer, manager, department manager, Director, VP, President? Also, I know that it varies, but about how long does it usually take for someone with an engineering/business degree (such as that bsee/msm..and yes, I do go to NCSU) to work their way into a management level role?

There are generally accepted terms that describe management levels. However, they are not usually specific to departments. I've worked for four companies since I've been out of college and they all had just about the same layers of management. As far as the engineering department goes there is typically an Engineering Manager, a Director of Engineering, and then a General Manager of Engineering or Vice-President of Engineering (depending on the company).

Senior engineers, project engineers, etc. are not managers per se, but they can perform some managerial functions. A project manager on the other hand is definitely a manager specifically tasked with the success of the project (engineering wise and financial wise).

The amount of time it would take to move into a management level can vary significantly depending on the industry and company. Based on my experience, I would say around 10 years in an average size company should put you in the position to make the upward move. Some companies have specific management trainee programs that can accelerate it as well.

Additionally, if you are interested in moving into management (in particular top-level), an MBA would be a better choice than a Masters in Management due to the stronger emphasis on the financial side. BTW, UNC-CH has one of the better MBA programs in the US and it is just down the road from NCSU.

Hope this helps.

CS

1. What is the importance of degree planning for engineering/business?

Degree planning is crucial for engineering/business students as it allows them to efficiently map out their academic journey and make the most of their time in college. It helps students stay on track with their required courses, meet graduation requirements, and explore various elective options that align with their career goals.

2. How can I create a degree plan for engineering/business?

To create a degree plan, you should first consult with your academic advisor or department to understand the specific requirements for your major. Then, you can use a degree planning tool or template provided by your university to map out your courses each semester. It is important to consider prerequisites, course availability, and any co-requisite requirements while planning your degree.

3. Can I change my degree plan once it is created?

Yes, you can make changes to your degree plan as needed. It is common for students to make adjustments to their plan as they progress through their degree and discover new interests. However, it is important to consult with your academic advisor before making any changes to ensure that you are still meeting all requirements and staying on track for graduation.

4. How can I ensure that my degree plan is balanced and manageable?

To create a balanced and manageable degree plan, you should consider your workload, time commitments, and personal strengths and interests. It is important to not overload yourself with too many difficult courses in one semester and to also include some elective courses that you find interesting. Additionally, regularly meeting with your academic advisor can help ensure that your degree plan is realistic and achievable.

5. Are there any resources available to help with degree planning for engineering/business?

Yes, most universities have resources available to help students with degree planning. These may include degree planning tools, academic advisors, peer mentors, and online resources. It is important to take advantage of these resources to ensure that your degree plan is accurate and aligns with your goals.