Commuting creation and annihilation operators

In summary, you are unsure of whether the commutator is a c-number or an operator, but if you expand the commutator until you only have \left[ a , a^{\dagger} \right] you will get all the operators that you've pulled outside in the correct order.
Rettaw
Hello, I have the missfortune of having to calculate a commutator with some powers of the creation and the annihilation operators, something like:

[tex] \left[ a^m , (a^{\dagger})^n \right][/tex]

I have managed to derive
[tex] \left[ a^m , (a^{\dagger})^n \right]= m a^{m-1} \left[ a , a^{\dagger} \right] [/tex]
(altought I should really have remebered that) but I don't know how to use that to calculate
the big thing other than by recursive application of it, and that's very messy.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rettaw said:
Hello, I have the missfortune of having to calculate a commutator with some powers of the creation and the annihilation operators, something like:

[tex] \left[ a^m , (a^{\dagger})^n \right][/tex]

I have managed to derive
[tex] \left[ a^m , a^{\dagger} \right]= m a^{m-1} \left[ a , a^{\dagger} \right] \quad\cdots (*)[/tex]
(altought I should really have remebered that) but I don't know how to use that to calculate
the big thing other than by recursive application of it, and that's very messy.

Any suggestions?
(I guess you got a typo in your second equation. I corrected it in the way I thought.)
Actually, by directly repeating use of the eq(*), you will get
[tex]\left[ a^m , (a^{\dagger})^n \right] = nma^{m-1}(a^\dagger)^{n-1}\left[a,a^\dagger\right][/tex].
What you only have to notice is, the commutator is a c-number.
Application of eq(*) to [tex]\left[ a^m , (a^{\dagger})^n \right][/tex] is just of as many lines calculation as the derivation of eq(*).
Actually, the answer can be read off directly, but I think you should go into the calculation, and should not feel cumbersome please.

Cheers

Yeah, you're right it's supposed to be only [tex]a^{\dagger}[/tex] and no powers of n.
Still, I'm not entirely convinced, the [tex] \left[ a , a^{\dagger} \right] [/tex] is indeed a c-number, but the [tex] \left[ a^m , a^{\dagger} \right] [/tex] is an operator, and when I expand the full [tex] \left[ a^m , (a^{\dagger})^n \right] [/tex] I get things that contain higher powes of the operators and thus I'm quite sure do not commute trivially.

So are you claiming that if I fully expand the commutator until I only have [tex] \left[ a , a^{\dagger} \right] [/tex] I get all the operators that I've pulled outside in the correct order to be able to write your final result?

1. What are commuting creation and annihilation operators?

Commuting creation and annihilation operators are mathematical operators used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of quantum particles. They are used to create and destroy particles, respectively, and their commutation relations determine the properties of the particles.

2. How do commuting creation and annihilation operators work?

Commuting creation and annihilation operators work by acting on a quantum state. The creation operator adds a particle to the state, while the annihilation operator removes a particle. They have specific commutation relations that dictate their behavior and the properties of the particles they create and destroy.

3. What is the difference between commuting and non-commuting creation and annihilation operators?

The main difference between commuting and non-commuting creation and annihilation operators is that commuting operators have commutation relations that result in the operators being able to be rearranged in any order without changing the outcome, while non-commuting operators do not have this property. In quantum mechanics, non-commuting operators are used to describe the behavior of particles with more complex properties, such as spin.

4. What is the significance of commuting creation and annihilation operators in quantum mechanics?

Commuting creation and annihilation operators are essential in quantum mechanics as they allow us to describe the behavior of quantum particles and determine their properties. They are used in many mathematical models and calculations, making them an integral part of understanding and studying quantum mechanics.

5. How are commuting creation and annihilation operators applied in real-world applications?

Commuting creation and annihilation operators have numerous applications in various fields, including quantum computing, quantum field theory, and particle physics. They are also used in the development of new technologies, such as quantum sensors and quantum cryptography, and in simulating quantum systems in computer simulations.