Is 1 cm equal to 8.066 meV-1 in unit conversion?

In summary, ZapperZ says that 1 cm-1 is 0.124 meV. He provides a conversion from 1 eV into frequency, 1/cm, and Kelvin.
Rajini
Dear PF members,
We know that 1 meV = 8.066 cm-1. So now can i say 1 cm = 8.066 meV-1 ?
thanks for your reply.
Ps: 1 cm-1 = 0.124 meV.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you are saying here Rajini because your units don't balance.An eV is a unit of energy.

This is a common "short form" used in condensed matter/solid state physics, especially in optical conductivity measurement. 1 eV is "equivalent" to 8.0655 x 10^3 cm^-1. It's one of those simplified notation that sets k=h=c=1.

Zz.

Whoops...sorry Rajini and thank you ZapperZ.Can you please give me some ideas about where to google to get more information?

Dadface said:
Whoops...sorry Rajini and thank you ZapperZ.Can you please give me some ideas about where to google to get more information?

It actually is a straight-forward conversion.

Start with E=hf.

So if you have 1 eV = hf, it gives you an equivalence

1 eV == 2.4 e14 Hz

but we know that f = c/lambda.

So 1/lambda = cf = 8.05 e3/cm == 1 eV.

The list of values of the conversion from 1 eV into frequency, 1/cm, and Kelvin can be found in the inside back cover of Ashcroft and Mermin's Solid State Text.

Zz.

Hi, how i calculate (and many ppl. do)..
we know
[tex]E=hc/\lambda[/tex]
and so
[tex]1/\lambda=E/(hc)[/tex]
Now by taking E = 1 eV, h in eVs and c in cm/s
one will get [tex]1/\lambda[/tex] = 8066 cm-1 (for E= 1 eV).
So 1 meV = 8.066 cm-1
But my questions is whether the following is correct or not!?
1 cm = 8.066 meV-1 [i just reversed the units!]

thanks for your reply

yes i solved this problem..sorry

THank you ZapperZ.There was I thinking it might be something complicated.

Rajini said:
But my questions is whether the following is correct or not!?
1 cm = 8.066 meV-1 [i just reversed the units!]

Yes, but remember here that it's (meV)-1 and not milli-(eV)-1,
just as cm-1 is taken to mean 1/centimeters and not 100ths of 1/m.

First time I worked with cm-1 I kept being off by a factor of 10,000 for some reason :)

1. What is the formula for converting meV to cm?

The formula for converting meV (milli electron volts) to cm (centimeters) is: 1 meV = 1.97327 x 10^-12 cm.

2. Why do we need to convert units from meV to cm?

Converting units from meV to cm is necessary for scientific calculations and measurements. It allows us to compare and analyze data in different units and make accurate predictions and conclusions.

3. Can you provide an example of converting meV to cm?

Of course. Let's say we have a measurement of 500 meV. To convert this to cm, we would use the formula: 500 meV x 1.97327 x 10^-12 cm = 9.86635 x 10^-10 cm. Therefore, 500 meV is equivalent to 9.86635 x 10^-10 cm.

4. Is there a specific tool or calculator for converting meV to cm?

Yes, there are many online unit conversion calculators that can help you convert between different units, including meV to cm. You can also use a scientific calculator that has unit conversion functions.

5. Why is the unit conversion from meV to cm different from other unit conversions?

The conversion from meV to cm may seem different from other unit conversions because it involves converting energy units (meV) to distance units (cm). This is because meV is a unit of energy, while cm is a unit of length. Therefore, the conversion factor between these two units is unique.