What numbers solve this cryptarithm?

• Thread starter K Sengupta
  • Start date
In summary, the numbers that solve the cryptarithm are those that can be substituted for the different letters in the equation to make it a true statement. This requires solving for each individual letter and then finding the corresponding numbers that satisfy the equation. The solution may not always be unique and can involve trial and error to find the correct numbers.
K Sengupta
Solve this cryptarithm, where each of the letters represent a different decimal digit from 0 to 9. None of T and E is zero, and “EVENLY” is even.

(THINE)/(EVENLY) = 2/15

Physics news on Phys.org
83596/626970 = 2/15
This was found by brute force.
I have been finding these by writing and running a program that runs through all the possible values of the digits and prints out the ones that satisfy the defining equation. As such, they are not very interesting. Is there any method to these puzzles other than brute force that I am missing? In other words, is there any brain teasing going on here?

jimmysnyder said:
I have been finding these by writing and running a program that runs through all the possible values of the digits and prints out the ones that satisfy the defining equation. As such, they are not very interesting. Is there any method to these puzzles other than brute force that I am missing? In other words, is there any brain teasing going on here?

There's some-- for instance, we know that (THINE) must be divisible by 2, and that (EVENLY) must be divisible by both 5 and 3. Hence, Y must be 0 or 5, and E must be one of 0, 2, 4, 6, 8. Next, you can rule out 8 as a possibility for E, because the maximum value for (THINE) is 98764, which means (EVENLY) has a max of 740730, meaning that E cannot be greater than 7. Next, we can rule out T=1, because the minimum value of (EVENLY) is 101235, which would make (THINE) be 13498. Since E =/= T, T clearly can't be 1.

Anyway, you can plug away at these bit by bit in that fashion, but yeah, it's certainly easy to write a brute force program to do the job.

DaveE

davee123 said:
There's some-- for instance, we know that (THINE) must be divisible by 2, and that (EVENLY) must be divisible by both 5 and 3. Hence, Y must be 0 or 5, and E must be one of 0, 2, 4, 6, 8. Next, you can rule out 8 as a possibility for E, because the maximum value for (THINE) is 98764, which means (EVENLY) has a max of 740730, meaning that E cannot be greater than 7. Next, we can rule out T=1, because the minimum value of (EVENLY) is 101235, which would make (THINE) be 13498. Since E =/= T, T clearly can't be 1.

Anyway, you can plug away at these bit by bit in that fashion, but yeah, it's certainly easy to write a brute force program to do the job.

DaveE
Can such plugging away actually solve the problem or simply reduce the time (nearly zero) that the inevitable program takes to run?

jimmysnyder said:
Can such plugging away actually solve the problem or simply reduce the time (nearly zero) that the inevitable program takes to run?

I haven't tried this one all the way through, so I'm not sure if you can solve it totally with the given clues without brute force, but then again, sometimes you can do some clever tricks that are way beyond me. As for making the program run faster, yes. It isn't really necessary for these cases, since exploring all 3628800 possibilities is pretty quick for a computer. But sometimes it makes the difference between your program running for 2 seconds versus 2 weeks.

If you want some difficult brute force problems, try:
http://projecteuler.net/

They start out easy, but as you go on, you can use some elegant math to simplify the solutions and make your brute force algorithms manageable.

DaveE

Found by brute force:

Found solution 1: t=8 h=3 i=5 n=9 e=6 v=2 l=7 y=0
thine=83596 evenly=626970
thine*15=1253940, evenly*2=1253940

1. What does "Thine/ evenly = 2/15" mean?

"Thine/ evenly = 2/15" is a mathematical equation that represents a ratio or proportion. It can also be read as "Thine is to evenly as 2 is to 15".

2. What is the significance of the numbers 2 and 15 in this equation?

The numbers 2 and 15 represent the quantities of the two variables being compared in the ratio. In this case, "Thine" and "evenly" have a ratio of 2 to 15.

3. How is this equation used in scientific studies?

This equation can be used in various ways in scientific studies, such as calculating proportions in experiments or analyzing data sets. It can also be used in chemistry to determine the molar ratio of elements in a compound.

4. Can the values on either side of the equation be interchanged?

Yes, the values on either side of the equation can be interchanged as long as the ratio remains the same. For example, "evenly/ Thine = 15/2" would still represent the same ratio of 2 to 15.

5. What if the equation is written as a fraction or decimal?

The equation "Thine/ evenly = 2/15" can be written as a fraction, decimal, or percentage without changing its meaning. For example, it can be written as "Thine is 2/15 of evenly", "Thine is 0.1333... times evenly", or "Thine is 13.33...% of evenly".