Searching for the Human Connection -Physics and Music.

In summary, the topic of "Human Connection"--Physics and Music was discussed in a conversation about an independent research project. The goal of the project is to merge the opposing viewpoints of music and physics to understand how humans comprehend and appreciate sound. The project also aims to define the mental connection that allows us to convert sound into emotions. A book, "This is Your Brain on Music" by Dr. Levitin, was mentioned as a possible resource. An article and three research studies on this topic were also shared.
EikeJMaas
Searching for the "Human Connection"--Physics and Music.

Hello everyone! I'm currently a senior in high school (going off to study architecture at either Rensselaer Polytech Ins., Marywood U, or Philadelphia U) and am doing an independent research project on the topic of relating acoustic physics and music; this relationship occurs somewhere within the mind and that is why I am posting in this area of the forum.

It would be very greatly appreciated if anyone that has the time could read my research blog and comment on any of my observations. http://eikemaas.blogspot.com

Here is a sort of loose thesis statement/ project goal that I have drafted:

This is my attempt at merging the opposing viewpoints of music and physics into a unified understanding of how humans comprehend and appreciate sound. Our current way of making and composing mere sound into a coherent piece of music has not developed arbitrarily over the past millenia... it has been shaped by cultural developments, neurological/psychological factors, and of course the actual physical nature of sound. There is some sort of mental connection which we establish which allows us to convert a series of alternating pressures into qualities, dissonances, and emotions. My goal is to define this connection.

Also, as a postscript, I have read Dr. Levitin's book This is Your Brain on Music. Just saying so preemptively as I'm sure someone may think of suggesting it to me.

Thank you all, see you around!

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org

@ Eike
It might be a bit late,
but I recently read an article on this topic
http://relentlessenergy.com/musicalbrain"
it might be a bit general for you, but perhaps the professor who wrote this has some more on this topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the connection between physics and music?

The connection between physics and music lies in the fundamental principles of sound and vibration. Physics explains the scientific principles behind how sound is produced, transmitted, and perceived, while music utilizes these principles to create melodies, harmonies, and rhythms.

2. How does music affect our brains?

Music has been found to stimulate various areas of the brain, including the auditory cortex, motor cortex, and emotional centers. It can also improve memory, attention, and mood.

3. Can physics help us understand the emotional impact of music?

Yes, physics can help us understand the emotional impact of music by analyzing the frequency, amplitude, and timbre of different sounds and how they are perceived by the brain. This can explain why certain types of music elicit specific emotional responses from listeners.

4. Is there a scientific explanation for why some people have perfect pitch?

While the exact cause of perfect pitch is still being studied, it is believed to be a combination of genetics, early musical training, and brain plasticity. Research has shown that individuals with perfect pitch have a larger volume of grey matter in the auditory cortex, which may contribute to their ability to identify and reproduce specific pitches.

5. How can studying the physics of music improve the quality of sound production?

Studying the physics of music can improve the quality of sound production by providing a scientific understanding of how sound waves behave and how different materials and instruments affect sound. This knowledge can be applied in the design and construction of musical instruments, recording studios, and live performance venues to achieve optimal acoustics and sound quality.