Accuracy of Tangent-Line Approximation for f(x) = x^2

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the tangent line to the graph of a given function at a specific point, solving an inequality to find the accuracy of the tangent-line approximation, and using different values of epsilon to illustrate the solution. The solution involves taking the square root of each side and using K as a function of epsilon in the inequality.
misterau

Homework Statement

Let the function f be given by f (x) = x^2
(a) Determine the tangent line to the graph of f at x = 1. Denote this by y = g (x) .
(b) Let [tex]\epsilon[/tex] be a positive number. Solve the inequality|f (x) - g (x)| <[tex]\epsilon[/tex]
(c) What does part b) tell us about the accuracy of the tangent-line approximation to f ?
Illustrate your answer by using the values [tex]\epsilon[/tex] = 0.01 and [tex]\epsilon[/tex] = 0.0001.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) For y = mx + b
f'(x) = 2*x
f'(1) = 2*1 = 2
b =1 -2(1)
= -1
g(x) = 2x -1
(b) This where I am having problems
|f (x) - g (x)| = | x^2 -2*x +1| = |(x-1)(x-1)|
so
|(x-1)(x-1)|<[tex]\epsilon[/tex]
|(x-1)(x-1)|<K|(x-1)|<[tex]\epsilon[/tex]
assuming |x-1|<K
Then I realized I can not make this assumption..
I am not sure what I can assume to get: |x-1| < ([tex]\epsilon[/tex]/k)
Now do I get rid of the other |x-1|?
Basically confused, I find these Definition of limits Q's difficult.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got |x-1|^2<epsilon. How about taking the square root of each side? In the solution |x-1|<K, K should be a function of epsilon.

Dick said:
You've got |x-1|^2<epsilon. How about taking the square root of each side? In the solution |x-1|<K, K should be a function of epsilon.

Oh yeah didn't think of that!:smile: Thanks!

What is the definition of a limit?

The limit of a function f(x) as x approaches a is the value that f(x) gets closer and closer to as x gets closer and closer to a. It is denoted as lim x→a f(x).

How is a limit different from the value of a function at a specific point?

The limit of a function represents the behavior of the function as x approaches a, while the value of a function at a specific point is just the output of the function at that particular point. In other words, the limit gives us information about how the function behaves near a, while the value gives us information about the function at a specific point.

What are the two types of limits?

The two types of limits are one-sided limits and two-sided limits. One-sided limits only consider the behavior of the function as x approaches a from one direction (either from the left or the right), while two-sided limits consider the behavior of the function as x approaches a from both directions.

How do you determine if a limit exists?

A limit exists if the left and right-sided limits are equal (or if the two-sided limit exists). This means that as x gets closer and closer to a, the function values on either side of a are getting closer and closer to the same value.

What are some common methods for finding limits?

Some common methods for finding limits include direct substitution, factoring and simplifying, using algebraic manipulation, and using special limit properties and theorems such as the Squeeze Theorem and the Limit Laws.