Shocked by a Ramanujan identity

• Thread starter zetafunction
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, the conversation discussed a formula that was mentioned in chapter 1 of Ramanujan's notebook and asked for help in understanding it. The formula is a summation involving Bernoulli numbers and has a range for k of 0 to infinity. The conversation also mentioned the use of Euler-Maclaurin summation formula and the term \zeta (-r), which is equivalent to \frac{B_{r+1}}{r+1} for a positive integer value of r. The conversation ended with a challenge to compute a similar sum using pen and paper.
zetafunction
i do not remember the webpage i watched this but i remember that they said ' IN chapter 1 of his notebook Ramanujan wrote '

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{x}n^{r}= (r+1)^{-1}x^{r+1}+ \zeta (-r) - \sum_{k}B_{2k}\frac{\Gamma (r+1)}{\Gamma (k-2r+2)} [/tex]

does anyone knows how to get this ??

Physics news on Phys.org
zetafunction said:
i do not remember the webpage i watched this but i remember that they said ' IN chapter 1 of his notebook Ramanujan wrote '

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{x}n^{r}= (r+1)^{-1}x^{r+1}+ \zeta (-r) - \sum_{k}B_{2k}\frac{\Gamma (r+1)}{\Gamma (k-2r+2)} [/tex]

does anyone knows how to get this ??

To begin with, what is B? and in the sum what is the range of k?

ramsey2879 said:
To begin with, what is B? and in the sum what is the range of k?

A Bernoulli number and "0 to infinity", I believe.

oh, excuse me the lack of notation

here B_2k means the 2k-th Bernoulli Number, and yes the summation (is finite) goes to k=0 to k= infinite

i know he used Euler-Maclaurin summation formula but the term [tex] \zeta (-r) [/tex] seems strange to me

Last edited:
The "Euler Summation Formula" might give you some insight to why the Bernouli numbers pop up in this formula. The term [tex] \zeta (-r) [/tex] is just [tex] \frac{B_{r+1}}{r+1} [/tex] for a positive integer value of r. Another formula that will compute this sum for a positive integer value of r is :

[tex] f_{r}(x)= \sum_{n=0} ^{x} n^{r} = r\int f_{r-1}dx + xB_{r} [/tex]

where

[tex] f_{1}(x)=\frac{x^2}{2} + \frac{x}{2}[/tex]

I think one of the Bernoulli brothers could calculate [tex] 1^{10}+2^{10}+3^{10} + ... 1000^{10} [/tex] in about fifteen minutes using one of these formulas. Try it using just pen and paper and see how long it takes you...

Last edited:

1. What is a Ramanujan identity?

A Ramanujan identity is a mathematical equation or formula discovered by the Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan. These identities often involve infinite series and have been found to have connections with other areas of mathematics, such as number theory and modular forms.

2. How did Ramanujan discover these identities?

Ramanujan was a self-taught mathematician who had a unique way of approaching problems. He would often come up with intuitive and original ideas and then later work on proving them. He discovered many of his identities through his own insights and intuition, without any formal mathematical training.

3. What makes Ramanujan identities so important?

Ramanujan identities have been found to have connections with various areas of mathematics, including number theory, hypergeometric series, and modular forms. They also have applications in physics and other sciences. Additionally, Ramanujan identities have been used to solve previously unsolved problems and have inspired further research in mathematics.

4. Are Ramanujan identities difficult to understand?

Some of Ramanujan's identities can be quite complex and require a deep understanding of mathematics to fully comprehend. However, there are also simpler identities that can be easily understood by those with a basic knowledge of algebra and calculus. With some effort and study, anyone can begin to understand and appreciate the beauty and significance of Ramanujan identities.

5. Can anyone discover a Ramanujan identity?

While not everyone can discover a Ramanujan identity, anyone with a passion for mathematics and a willingness to explore new ideas and approaches has the potential to make unique and significant contributions to the field. Ramanujan himself was a self-taught mathematician, proving that formal education is not a prerequisite for making groundbreaking discoveries in mathematics.