Help with epsilon-delta definition of a limit of a function

In summary, the problem asks to prove that the limit of a function f(x,y) is equal to 1 as (x,y) approaches (0,0). The solution involves using the definition of the limit of a function of multiple variables and bounding an expression involving |f(x,y) - 1| with an expression in terms of delta. By noticing that the denominator is less than delta^2, the overall expression can be made larger. Using this, it can be shown that |f(x,y) - 1| is less than 2*delta, and by choosing delta = epsilon/2, the limit can be proven.
azure kitsune

Homework Statement

Let

[tex]f(x,y) = \dfrac{x^2+2xy^2+y^2}{x^2+y^2}[/tex]

Prove that

[tex]\lim_{(x,y) \to (0,0)} f(x,y) = 1[/tex]

Homework Equations

Definition of the limit of a function of multiple variables:

It suffices to show that for all [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex], there exists a [tex]\delta > 0[/tex] such that for all [tex](x,y)[/tex] such that [tex]0 < x^2 + y^2 < \delta ^2[/tex], we have [tex]|f(x,y) - 1| < \epsilon[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]|f(x,y) - 1| = \left| \dfrac{2xy^2}{x^2+y^2} \right| = \dfrac{2|x|y^2}{x^2+y^2} [/tex]

I need to bound this with an expression in terms of [tex]\delta[/tex], but I can't think of any way to do so. I noticed that the denominator is less than [tex]\delta ^2[/tex] but I can't get anywhere with that. (I end up bounding it in the wrong direction! :uhh:)

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

[Edit: Good catch Mark44!]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try 2|x|y^2<=2|x|*(x^2+y^2). How can you bound |x| in terms of delta?

This isn't much help, but the denominator is less than [itex]\delta ^2[/itex], which makes the overall expression larger than it would be if the denominator were equal to [itex]\delta ^2[/itex].

I get that [tex]|x| = \sqrt{x^2} \leq \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} < \delta[/tex] so

[tex]\dfrac{2|x|y^2}{x^2+y^2} \leq \dfrac{2|x|(x^2 + y^2)}{x^2+y^2} = 2|x| < 2\delta[/tex]

So for any [tex]\epsilon[/tex], we can choose [tex]\delta = \epsilon/2[/tex].

Thanks Dick! That was tricky.

1. What is the epsilon-delta definition of a limit of a function?

The epsilon-delta definition of a limit of a function is a mathematical method used to formally define the concept of a limit. It states that for a given function f(x), as x approaches a certain value a, the limit of the function is L if for any positive real number ε, there exists a positive real number δ such that when the distance between x and a is less than δ, the distance between f(x) and L is less than ε.

2. Why is the epsilon-delta definition of a limit important?

The epsilon-delta definition of a limit is important because it provides a rigorous and precise definition of the concept of a limit. It allows for a clear understanding of the behavior of a function near a certain point, and it is the foundation for many important concepts in calculus.

3. How is the epsilon-delta definition of a limit applied in real-world situations?

The epsilon-delta definition of a limit is applied in real-world situations, such as in engineering and physics, to determine the behavior of a system or function at a certain point. For example, it can be used to analyze the stability of a bridge or the speed of an object in motion.

4. What are the key components of the epsilon-delta definition of a limit?

The key components of the epsilon-delta definition of a limit are the value of x approaching a certain point, the limit value L, and the positive real numbers ε and δ. The value of δ represents the distance between x and a, while ε represents the desired level of accuracy in determining the limit.

5. How can I use the epsilon-delta definition of a limit to prove the existence of a limit?

To prove the existence of a limit using the epsilon-delta definition, you must show that for any ε > 0, there exists a δ > 0 such that when the distance between x and a is less than δ, the distance between f(x) and L is less than ε. This can be done by using algebraic manipulations and logical reasoning to find a suitable value for δ that satisfies the definition.