Gravitational Force Between Planets

In summary, the gravitational force exerted by a 21.2 kg lead ball on a 442 g lead ball, separated by a distance of 10.38 cm, is 5.8 x 10^-8 N. The ratio of this gravitational force to the weight of the 442 g ball can be found by dividing the gravitational force by the weight of the ball, after converting it to Newtons.
jibjab

Homework Statement

Part 1)
The centers of a 21.2 kg lead ball and a 442 g lead ball are separated by 10.38 cm. What gravitational force does each exert on the other?

Part 2)
What is the ratio of this gravitational force to the weight of the 442 g ball?

The Attempt at a Solution

I found part 1 - 5.8 X 10^-8 N by using the formula Gm1m2/r^2.
Part 2 I haven't the slightest idea. Does anyone know how to find the ratio?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
To find a ratio of gravitational force to the weight of the 442 g ball, it is simply the gravitational force divided by the weight of the ball.

So simple and yet I couldn't get it! Thank you.

remember to convert 442g, a mass, into a weight in Newtons (on Earth I presume).

1. What is the gravitational force between planets?

The gravitational force between planets is the attractive force that exists between two celestial bodies due to their mass. It is a fundamental force that governs the motion of planets and other objects in the universe.

2. How is the gravitational force between planets calculated?

The gravitational force between planets is calculated using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the masses of the two objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. Does the distance between planets affect the gravitational force?

Yes, the gravitational force between planets decreases as the distance between them increases. This is because the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two objects.

4. How does the mass of planets affect the gravitational force between them?

The gravitational force between planets is directly proportional to the product of their masses. This means that the greater the mass of the planets, the stronger the gravitational force between them.

5. Can the gravitational force between planets be canceled out?

No, the gravitational force between planets cannot be canceled out. It is a fundamental force that exists between all objects with mass in the universe, and it cannot be eliminated or canceled out.