Electromagnetic Black hole phenomena

In summary: It would violate the law if the black hole were to consume matter or energy at an unsustainable rate.
bassplayer142
Electromagnetic "Black hole" phenomena

Just read the article and you will understand the title. I'm not sure where I should put this so if you want to move it go ahead. But this shows great potential in my eyes. A brilliant discovery if made applicable.

http://blog.taragana.com/n/scientists-create-electromagnetic-black-hole-that-sucks-in-surrounding-light-196707/

http://www.dnaindia.com/scitech/rep...-hole-that-sucks-in-surrounding-light_1299290

Physics news on Phys.org

Interesting.
But if that thing can indeed concentrate completely diffuse light it would violate the second law of thermodynamics.

DrZoidberg said:
Interesting.
But if that thing can indeed concentrate completely diffuse light it would violate the second law of thermodynamics.

That's what I was thinking. The science writer is horribly obtuse, so it's difficult to sort out what what the ideal is all about.

I think the idea here is that light will take spiraling paths to where it is intended to go, as the spiraling paths of light do near an event horizon. This would be a novel idea to me.

Now I would ask, if my guess is right, "isn't it frequency sensitive so that only narrow bands will follow decending paths and the rest scattered." I think this is sensational reporting. My initial take is that this is hyperbole.

Last edited:

Phrak said:
That's what I was thinking. The science writer is horribly obtuse, so it's difficult to sort out what what the ideal is all about.

I think the idea here is that light will take spiraling paths to where it is intended to go, as the spiraling paths of light do near an event horizon. This would be a novel idea to me.

Now I would ask, if my guess is right, "isn't it frequency sensitive so that only narrow bands will follow decending paths and the rest scattered." I think this is sensational reporting. My initial take is that this is hyperbole.

I think that it only works for microwaves. But they say the same principle can apply to optical light.

How exactly does it violate the 2nd law?

1. What is an electromagnetic black hole?

An electromagnetic black hole is a theoretical concept in which a massive object, such as a star, collapses under its own gravity and becomes so dense that it forms a singularity, a point of infinite density and zero volume. This singularity is surrounded by an event horizon, a boundary beyond which nothing can escape, including light.

2. How do electromagnetic black holes differ from other types of black holes?

Electromagnetic black holes are distinguished by the fact that they have an electric charge and/or a magnetic field. This charge or field can affect the behavior of particles and radiation near the black hole, and can also lead to the creation of jets of high-energy matter and radiation.

3. What is the role of electromagnetism in black hole phenomena?

Electromagnetism plays a crucial role in black hole phenomena, as it is responsible for the formation and properties of black holes. It also plays a role in the behavior of matter and radiation near black holes, and in the creation of jets and other high-energy phenomena associated with black holes.

4. What evidence do we have for the existence of electromagnetic black holes?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for the existence of electromagnetic black holes. However, there are many observations of astrophysical objects, such as active galactic nuclei and microquasars, that exhibit characteristics consistent with the presence of electromagnetic black holes. Further research and observations are needed to confirm their existence.

5. Can electromagnetic black holes be used for space travel?

At this time, there is no known way to use black holes, including electromagnetic black holes, for space travel. The extreme gravitational forces near black holes would make it difficult for any spacecraft to approach or escape from them. Additionally, the intense radiation and other high-energy phenomena near black holes make them inhospitable for human travel.