How can I fix the 'No Sound on AC'97' issue in Windows 7 Ultimate?

In summary, the conversation is about a user experiencing issues with their audio after a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate. They have tried various solutions, including uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, but have not been successful. Others have suggested checking the Services/Dependencies and trying a BIOS flash, but the issue persists. The conversation ends with the user asking for suggestions and stating that they have tried the driver provided by their motherboard manufacturer.
Equate
No upgrade, full install of WIN 7 Ultimate.

Problem is just like the title says.

Screens:

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/3513/75588998.th.jpg

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/7209/81433304.th.jpg

Icon in taskbar says: "No Audio Output Device is installed".

Yes, it's enabled in the BIOS. Yes, my hardware is compatible, I ran this http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...0-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15&displaylang=en" and everything is good to go. I uninstalled any previous audio drivers before trying to install this one:

http://download.cnet.com/Realtek-AC-97-Driver-Windows-Vista-Windows-7/3000-2120_4-10962344.html

I also tried numerous others. I had Windows trying to repair it - no go. I uninstalled it through Device Manager. Windows detected it on re-boot but went back to screen shot 1.

Funny thing is, I did have sound after it was first installed, but it disappeared after Windows ran its updates. Never came back. :mad: One might think I'm dealing with LINUX here... :tongue:

So, any ideas? Has anybody experienced the same? If yes, how was it fixed?

I'm stomped...

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Equate said:
I'm stomped...

That was my first reaction after a clean new install of W7.

There was no sound even before any updates, but the Realtek sound driver was automatically installed by W7, and it was showing "device is working properly" message.

I tried to unroll the W7 driver, reboot, but it didn't get unrolled. Did it a second time, and then it got unrolled. I tried to install the original driver that came with the motherboard - had some privileges issue, and somehow it got latched on W7 a few reboots later - got sound. Then I ran the update - and sound died again. Error 10 somewhere appeared and so I ended up uninstalling everything, ran the update again, and then sound appeared.

On the same computer that used to run Vista - there was never an issue with any sound drivers.

Last edited:
I see I'm not alone.

By saying
uninstalling everything
you mean the audio drivers and the AC'97 "device" in Device Manager?

Right now I'm trying to hunt down the audio driver that's ON the WIN 7 DVD through "exploring" it. No luck so far. Any idea what to look for, name of it, file extension etc.?

Equate said:
I see I'm not alone.

By saying you mean the audio drivers and the AC'97 "device" in Device Manager?

yes, just unroll it from the device manager
Right now I'm trying to hunt down the audio driver that's ON the WIN 7 DVD through "exploring" it. No luck so far. Any idea what to look for, name of it, file extension etc.?

The drivers that I used came with the motherboard - as the computer was custom built. But then again, after the update, sound died. I uninstalled the update, installed it again, and sound worked from the windows drivers.

Your problem is that you are not installing the correct driver. Install the driver provided your motherboard manufacturer and not some generic driver off the internet.

waht said:
yes, just unroll it from the device manager

Thats what i thought. I have already done that. WIN 7 picked up the "new hardware", tried to install it with the same (negative) result.

waht said:
drivers that I used came with the motherboard - as the computer was custom built. But then again, after the update, sound died. I uninstalled the update, installed it again, and sound worked from the windows drivers.

Lucky you... :tongue:

Topher925 said:
Your problem is that you are not installing the correct driver. Install the driver provided your motherboard manufacturer and not some generic driver off the internet.

That was my first approach Topher, but it didn't do the trick.

After that I dove into the realms of the internets and tried a multitude of drivers (Realtek's first), all to no avail.

Someone else suggested it might be the Services/Dependencies not being started, but everything looks good:

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/1385/capture007i.png​
[/URL]

I doubt a BIOS flash would make any difference?

:sigh:

Last edited by a moderator:
What motherboard do you have? Can you give us a link to the driver you are downloading for it?

If the driver provided by the manufacturer doesn't work, then W7 is either not supported or you have some other issues going on besides the driver.

1. Why is there no sound on my computer after upgrading to Windows 7?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to outdated or corrupt audio drivers, incorrect audio settings, or hardware problems.

2. How do I check if my AC'97 audio is enabled on Windows 7?

To check if your AC'97 audio is enabled, right-click on the sound icon in the bottom right corner of your screen and select "Playback devices." Make sure your AC'97 audio device is set as the default device and is not muted.

3. What should I do if updating my audio drivers does not resolve the issue?

If updating your audio drivers does not fix the problem, try reinstalling the drivers or rolling back to a previous version. You may also need to check for any conflicting audio software or disable enhancements in the sound settings.

4. How can I troubleshoot hardware issues causing no sound on AC'97?

If you suspect that there is a hardware problem, try plugging in headphones or external speakers to see if you can hear sound. If not, there may be an issue with your sound card or audio port. You may need to replace these components to restore sound.

5. Can I use AC'97 audio on Windows 7 without any issues?

While AC'97 audio is compatible with Windows 7, it may not be fully supported by the operating system. There may be compatibility issues or limited functionality. It is recommended to use a newer audio standard, such as HD Audio, for optimal performance on Windows 7.