IMP how to perform a dynamic thermal analysis on ANSYS?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to perform a dynamic thermal analysis on ANSYS. The individual needs to simulate a model with an alumina pin on a rotating steel disc to calculate surface contact temperature, but LS-DYNA cannot perform thermal analysis. They are seeking advice for their B.Tech project and have already tried a frictional based analytic solution with moving heat flux, but are struggling with giving motion to components for thermal analysis.
ashish_shady
IMP! how to perform a dynamic thermal analysis on ANSYS?

I have to simulate a model having an alumina pin on a rotating steel disc to calculate the surface contact temperature of the pin in ANSYS, and to give rotational speed to the disc LS-DYNA has to be used. But thermal analysis cannot be performed with LS-DYNA...only structural analysis can be done.
So please someone tell me how I can perform the analysis. I am in great need of an advice. This is my B.Tech project and it has to be done.
Someone help!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Have you tried any frictional based analytic solution first?

yes i,ve done that...
but I've taken the frictional heat as a moving heat flux
it is hard to give any kind of motion to components and do a thermal analysis

1. What is IMP and why is it important for thermal analysis on ANSYS?

IMP stands for "Implicit Multi-Physics" and it is a feature in ANSYS that allows for the simulation of multiple physical phenomena, such as thermal and structural behavior, simultaneously. This is important for thermal analysis as it allows for a more comprehensive and accurate simulation of real-world systems where different physical phenomena may interact with each other.

2. How do I set up a dynamic thermal analysis on ANSYS using IMP?

To perform a dynamic thermal analysis using IMP in ANSYS, you will need to first create a model and define the thermal properties of your materials. Then, you can set up the analysis by defining the thermal loads, boundary conditions, and time-dependent behavior. Finally, you can run the simulation and analyze the results to understand the dynamic thermal behavior of your system.

3. Can I use IMP for both steady-state and transient thermal analysis?

Yes, IMP can be used for both steady-state and transient thermal analysis. For steady-state analysis, you will need to specify a constant thermal load and allow the simulation to run until a steady-state condition is reached. For transient analysis, you can define time-dependent thermal loads and boundary conditions to simulate the dynamic behavior of your system over a specified time period.

4. Are there any limitations to using IMP for dynamic thermal analysis on ANSYS?

Some limitations of using IMP for dynamic thermal analysis on ANSYS include the need for advanced knowledge and experience in using the software, as well as longer simulation times compared to simpler thermal analysis methods. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may be affected by the complexity of the model and the assumptions made during the simulation setup.

5. Are there any resources available to help me with performing a dynamic thermal analysis on ANSYS using IMP?

Yes, there are various resources available to help with performing a dynamic thermal analysis using IMP on ANSYS. ANSYS provides tutorials, user guides, and webinars on its website to help users understand and utilize the IMP feature. Additionally, there are online forums and communities where users can ask for advice and share their experiences with using IMP for thermal analysis on ANSYS.