Unbiased estimator of variance

• Thread starter thrillhouse86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variance
In summary: As for the second point, taking the square root does not always preserve unbiasedness, so it is possible for the modified variance to be unbiased while the modified standard deviation is biased.
thrillhouse86
Hey all,

In Schaum's outline it claims that the sample variance of s^2 is a biased estimate of the population variance because its mean is given by:
[tex] \mu_{s^{2}} = \frac{N-1}{N}\sigma^{2} [/tex]

which I am cool with. It then says that the modified variance given by:
[tex] \hat{s} = \frac{N}{N-1}s^{2} [/tex]
is an unbiased estimator. I know this should be really easy, but I don't know how to show it.

Also even if I accept that [tex] \hat{s}^{2} [/tex] is an unbiased estimator of the variance, Schaum's outline claims that [tex] \hat{s}[/tex] is a biased estimator of the population standard deviation. I don't see how this could be possible. if the variance is unbiased, and we take the square root of that unbiased estimator, won't the result also be unbiased ?

Thanks,
Thrillhouse

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What happens if you calculate

[tex]
E(\hat{s}^2) = E\left(\frac{N}{N-1} s^2\right)
[/tex]

using the first result you mention.

On the second point: you could work out the distribution of [tex] s [/tex] and then find the expectation and see that [itex] E(s) \ne \sigma [/itex], or simply take as explanation the fact that even thought

[tex]
s = \sqrt{s^2}
[/tex]

it is not true that

[tex]
E(s) = \sqrt{E(s^2)}
[/tex]

which would have to be true to have [itex] s [/itex] as an unbiased estimator of [itex] \sigma [/itex].

thrillhouse86 said:
Hey all,

In Schaum's outline it claims that the sample variance of s^2 is a biased estimate of the population variance because its mean is given by:
[tex] \mu_{s^{2}} = \frac{N-1}{N}\sigma^{2} [/tex]

which I am cool with. It then says that the modified variance given by:
[tex] \hat{s} = \frac{N}{N-1}s^{2} [/tex]
is an unbiased estimator. I know this should be really easy, but I don't know how to show it.

Also even if I accept that [tex] \hat{s}^{2} [/tex] is an unbiased estimator of the variance, Schaum's outline claims that [tex] \hat{s}[/tex] is a biased estimator of the population standard deviation. I don't see how this could be possible. if the variance is unbiased, and we take the square root of that unbiased estimator, won't the result also be unbiased ?

Thanks,
Thrillhouse

It sounds like you are overcomplicating the problem. Your first equation shows a bias factor of (N-1)/N, so simply multiplying by N/(N-1) removes the bias.

1. What is an unbiased estimator of variance?

An unbiased estimator of variance is a statistical tool used to estimate the variance of a population from a sample of data. It is considered unbiased because, on average, the estimated variance will be equal to the true population variance.

2. How is an unbiased estimator of variance calculated?

An unbiased estimator of variance is calculated by taking the sum of squared differences between each data point and the sample mean, and dividing it by the degrees of freedom (n-1). This is known as the sample variance formula.

3. Why is an unbiased estimator of variance important?

An unbiased estimator of variance is important because it allows us to estimate the variance of a population using only a sample of data. This can be useful in situations where collecting data from an entire population is not feasible or practical.

4. How does sample size affect the accuracy of an unbiased estimator of variance?

The larger the sample size, the more accurate the unbiased estimator of variance will be. As the sample size increases, the estimated variance will be closer to the true population variance. This is because a larger sample size provides more information about the population.

5. Are there any limitations to using an unbiased estimator of variance?

One limitation of using an unbiased estimator of variance is that it assumes the data is normally distributed. If the data is not normally distributed, the estimated variance may not accurately reflect the true population variance. Additionally, the accuracy of the estimator can be affected by outliers in the data.