Can you explain the solution for 5x3 + 2x2 + x = 20 between x = 1.4 and x = 1.5?

In summary, at x = 1.4, the polynomial has a height of 19.04, and at x = 1.5, the height of the graph is 22.875.
Gringo123
I've just seen the following question on a past paper:

"Explain why 5x3 + 2x2 + x = 20 has a solution between x = 1.4 and x = 1.5. Show all your calculations."

In order to answer this question, is it sufficient to simply work out the equation twice gving x the 2 values stated in the question?
I have done that and the 2 solution are:
19.04 (if x = 1.4)
22.875 (if x = 1.5)

Physics news on Phys.org
Rarely do they explicitly teach the "intermediate value theorem" in lower algebra classes, but that's what's going on here.
You have a polynomial whose value is greater than 20 at some point (call it "b") and less than 20 at another point ("a"). The theorem states that the polynomial will "hit" every value in between f(b) = 22.875 and f(a) = 19.04 at least once.

This relies on the fact that polynomials are continuous and differentiable, but that might be a little above the scope of your math class.

Gringo123 said:
I've just seen the following question on a past paper:

"Explain why 5x3 + 2x2 + x = 20 has a solution between x = 1.4 and x = 1.5. Show all your calculations."

In order to answer this question, is it sufficient to simply work out the equation twice gving x the 2 values stated in the question?
I have done that and the 2 solution are:
19.04 (if x = 1.4)
22.875 (if x = 1.5)

Yes, this is sufficient. Here's a highly intuitive (read that as non-mathematically based) explanation why.

think about the graph of your polynomial. If you were to draw it, or have a computer draw it, it would appear in one piece - no gaps, no places where there are tears or holes. What you've shown is that at x = 1.4, the height of the graph is just smaller than 20, and at x = 1.5, the height of the graph is just higher than 20. Since there aren't any holes, somewhere between 1.4 and 1.5 there has to be a place where the graph's height is exactly 20.

this is the point of The Chaz's post.

You have 888 posts! Nice. I'm planning to quit at (exactly) that number!
Also, props for using "The" (Chaz). It's an oft-forgotten article of much importance ;)

Thanks guys - you've answered my question!

1. What is "Alegra - trial and error"?

"Alegra - trial and error" is a scientific method used to solve problems or gain knowledge by testing different hypotheses and observing the results. It involves systematically trying different approaches until a successful outcome is achieved.

2. How does "Alegra - trial and error" differ from other scientific methods?

Unlike other scientific methods that rely on a logical and deductive approach, "Alegra - trial and error" relies on experimentation and observation to arrive at a solution. It is often used when the problem at hand does not have a clear solution or when there is limited information available.

3. What are the benefits of using "Alegra - trial and error"?

"Alegra - trial and error" allows for a hands-on approach to problem-solving and encourages creativity and innovation. It also allows for multiple solutions to be tested and evaluated, increasing the chances of finding the best possible solution.

4. What are the limitations of "Alegra - trial and error"?

One of the main limitations of "Alegra - trial and error" is that it can be time-consuming and resource-intensive. It also does not guarantee a successful outcome and may require multiple attempts before a solution is found. Additionally, it may not be suitable for complex problems that require a more structured and logical approach.

5. In what fields is "Alegra - trial and error" commonly used?

"Alegra - trial and error" is commonly used in fields such as chemistry, biology, and engineering. It is also often used in computer programming and artificial intelligence, where it is known as the "brute force" method of problem-solving.