Dual Light Sources in Dual-Slit Experiment?

In summary: AlbertIn summary, Albert is wondering if the dual-slit experiment can be performed with multiple light sources at varying distances to see if it affects the interference patterns. He is curious about the importance of the distance between the light sources and how it relates to the interference. While the interference pattern itself is not the most interesting aspect of the experiment, Albert is interested in whether or not information about the light's location persists beyond the slits and what this "self" includes.
albert cipria
I'm curious if the dual-slit experiment has been performed using multiple light sources. For example, if two photon emitters were used at various distances apart from each other, I wonder if that would affect the interference patterns.

I'm wondering about this because the distance between the slits is critical. So, by analogy, maybe the distance between photon emiters could be critical too. In other words, the angle of the source light might be related to the interference. Thanks, Albert

Physics news on Phys.org
You could do that, and you could classically calculate what the interference pattern should look like, for whatever angle, position, number of light sources, etc.

But why? The interesting thing about the double-slit experiment is not the interference pattern in-itself.

alxm said:
But why? The interesting thing about the double-slit experiment is not the interference pattern in-itself.

Yes. My understanding of what’s interesting about the double-slit experiment is not the interference pattern itself but the fact that one and only one light wave can generate an interference pattern without rubbing shoulders with any other light wave but its lonesome self.

What my question is trying to get at is whether or not information about the light’s location perdures beyond the slits. If the photon is truly interfering only with itself, I’d like to know what that “self” includes. Does it include location information about the source of said photon? -- Thanks,

1. What is a dual-slit experiment?

A dual-slit experiment is a classic physics experiment that demonstrates the wave-like nature of light. It involves shining a single beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the interference pattern that is produced on a screen behind the slits.

2. What is a dual light source in a dual-slit experiment?

A dual light source in a dual-slit experiment refers to using two separate light sources, instead of a single source, to create the interference pattern. This allows for more control and flexibility in manipulating the experiment to study the properties of light.

3. Why are dual light sources used in a dual-slit experiment?

Dual light sources are used in a dual-slit experiment to study the behavior of light under different conditions. By using two separate sources, researchers can investigate how factors such as intensity and wavelength of light affect the interference pattern.

4. How does using dual light sources affect the interference pattern in a dual-slit experiment?

Using dual light sources can change the interference pattern in a dual-slit experiment in several ways. For example, if the sources are not perfectly in phase, the interference pattern may become distorted or even disappear. Additionally, changing the intensity or wavelength of one of the sources can alter the overall pattern.

5. What are the practical applications of dual light sources in a dual-slit experiment?

Dual light sources in a dual-slit experiment have various practical applications in fields such as optics and quantum mechanics. They can be used to study the properties of light and to develop technologies such as holography and optical data storage. Additionally, dual-slit experiments with dual light sources have been used to test the principles of quantum mechanics and further our understanding of the nature of light.