Is this correct? (sum of two rational numbers is rational)

In summary, the conversation discussed a proof for the statement "The sum of two rational numbers is a rational number." The conversation involved verifying the proof and discussing the style of proof writing. The conclusion was a revised proof that addressed the issues raised in the discussion.
ephedyn
Homework Statement

"Prove that the sum of two rational numbers is a rational number."

I just started on proof writing, so I'll just like to verify if I'm not missing anything here, and get some comments about the style.

The attempt at a solution

Theorem. If [tex]a,b \in \mathbb{Q}[/tex] then [tex]a+b \in \mathbb{Q}[/tex]

Proof. Given [tex]a,b \in \mathbb{Q}[/tex]
we have some [tex]p_1,p_2,q_1,q_2 \in \mathbb{Z}[/tex] satisfying

[tex]a=\dfrac{p_1}{q_1} \, b=\dfrac{p_2}{q_2}[/tex]

which implies that

[tex]a+b
=\dfrac{p_1}{q_1}+\dfrac{p_2}{q_2}
=\dfrac{p_{1}q_{2}+p_{2}q_{1}}{q_{1}q_{2}}[/tex]

By closure of [tex]\mathbb{Z}[/tex] under addition and multiplication, it follows from the assumption that [tex]p_1,p_2,q_1,q_2 \in \mathbb{Z}[/tex] that

[tex]p_{1}q_{2}+p_{2}q_{1}[/tex] and [tex]q_{1}q_{2}[/tex] are also integers.

Hence, [tex]a+b[/tex] can be expressed as the ratio of 2 integers. By definition, [tex]a+b[/tex] is rational. [tex]\square[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good.

^Ah, great! Thanks.

One question though... is it immediately obvious that [tex]\mathbb{Z}[/tex] is closed under addition/multiplication? Is there a proof for this? I mean, this one's still rather easy, but I find it hard to verify that some given finite group has closure... say... {1, 9, 16, 22, 29, 53, 74, 79, 81} under multiplication modulo 91?

ephedyn said:
[tex]a=\dfrac{p_1}{q_1} \, b=\dfrac{p_2}{q_2}[/tex]

which implies that

[tex]a+b
=\dfrac{p_1}{q_1}+\dfrac{p_2}{q_2}
=\dfrac{p_{1}q_{2}+p_{2}q_{1}}{q_{1}q_{2}}[/tex]

How does the first imply the second? It doesn't. Yes, I'm being picky here, but you are doing proofs, ephedyn. Pickiness is essential in proofs.

To prove that the sum of two rationals is rational, you need
  1. A definition of what exactly constitutes a rational number.
    Hint: 0 and 1 are integers. 0/1 is a rational, but 1/0 is not. Why not?
  2. A definition of the sum of two rationals.
    This is why I asked the question at the start of this post. How is the sum of two rationals defined?
  3. Proof that this definition always yields a rational.
    You need to use the correct definition of what constitutes a rational (item 1 above) here.

D H has brought up good points you need to address. I should have thought about it much more carefully before saying your proof was okay.

D H said:
How does the first imply the second? It doesn't. Yes, I'm being picky here, but you are doing proofs, ephedyn. Pickiness is essential in proofs.

To prove that the sum of two rationals is rational, you need
  1. A definition of what exactly constitutes a rational number.
    Hint: 0 and 1 are integers. 0/1 is a rational, but 1/0 is not. Why not?
  2. A definition of the sum of two rationals.
    This is why I asked the question at the start of this post. How is the sum of two rationals defined?
  3. Proof that this definition always yields a rational.
    You need to use the correct definition of what constitutes a rational (item 1 above) here.

Okay, thanks. I gave it some serious thought and rewrote it. But it doesn't look very different from my previous one, and looks much more long-winded so maybe I'm still wrong >_<. How would you change it:

Theorem The sum of any two rational numbers is rational.

Let [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex] denote the set of all rational numbers

Definition Any number [tex]n \in \mathbb{Q} \iff n = \dfrac{p}{q} [/tex], where [tex]p,q \in \mathbb{Z} : q>0[/tex]

Consider the sum of any two numbers [tex]a, b[/tex],

[tex]a+b[/tex]

Assuming [tex]a, b \in \mathbb{Q}[/tex]
then by definition,

[tex]a+b=\dfrac{p_1}{q_1}+\dfrac{p_2}{q_2}=\dfrac{p_{1}q_{2}+p_{2}q_{1}}{q_{1}q_{2}}[/tex]

for some [tex]p_{1},p_{2},q_{1},q_{2} \in \mathbb{Z}: q_{1},q{2}>0,[/tex]

By closure of [tex]\mathbb{Z}[/tex] under addition and multiplication, it follows that [tex]p_{1}q_{2}+p_{2}q_{1}[/tex] and [tex]q_{1}q_{2}[/tex] are also integers. Also, since we have [tex]q_{1},q{2}>0[/tex], [tex]q_{1}q{2}>0[/tex]. Hence, [tex]\left( a+b \right) \in \mathbb{Q}[/tex]

^Also, I have a question... am I missing [tex]gcd(p,q)=1[/tex] from the definition? Does it affect the proof?

Much improved. There is one minor issue: is 2/-1 a rational? It is not per your definition. The constraint on the denominator is that it is a non-zero integer rather than a positive integer.

My main objections to your original proof were
  • Your use of the word "implies." p1/q1 + p2/q2 = (p1q2+p2q1)/(q1q2) by definition. The word "implies" has a special meaning in proofs.
  • That the numerator and denominator are integers does not suffice. The denominator cannot be zero.
You have addressed those objections.

Here is a proof that is a bit shorter than your proof. Note well: This proof, like yours, is an informal proof.

Given p1/q1, p2/q2 ∈ ℚ, then p1, q1, p2, q2 ∈ ℤ and q1, q2 ≠ 0. By definition, p1/q1+p2/q2= (p1q2+p2q1)/(q1q2). The numerator p1q2+p2q1 and denominator q1q2 are integers by closure of multiplication and addition of the integers. Moreover, q1q2 ≠ 0 since neither q1 nor q2 is zero. Thus p1/q1+p2/q2 is a rational.

Your use of the word "implies." p1/q1 + p2/q2 = (p1q2+p2q1)/(q1q2) by definition. The word "implies" has a special meaning in proofs.

Much improved. There is one minor issue: is 2/-1 a rational? It is not per your definition. The constraint on the denominator is that it is a non-zero integer rather than a positive integer.

Noted!

OK, thanks a lot for your advice. That's much more concise indeed.

1. What are rational numbers?

Rational numbers are numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, meaning they can be written as a fraction in the form of a/b where a and b are integers and b is not equal to 0.

2. Can any two rational numbers be added together to create a rational number?

Yes, the sum of two rational numbers is always a rational number.

3. How do you add two rational numbers?

To add two rational numbers, you simply need to find a common denominator and then add the numerators. For example, to add 1/2 and 3/4, you would find a common denominator of 4 and then add 1/2 + 3/4 = (1*2)/(2*2) + (3*1)/(4*1) = 2/4 + 3/4 = (2+3)/4 = 5/4.

4. Is the sum of two irrational numbers always irrational?

No, the sum of two irrational numbers can sometimes be rational. For example, the sum of √2 and -√2 is 0, which is a rational number.

5. How do you know if a number is rational or irrational?

A number is rational if it can be expressed as a fraction of two integers. Otherwise, it is irrational. Examples of irrational numbers include π and √2.