Scientist/Engineers have to be socially unadapted? Wow but i like women to xD

• Thread starter AlexES16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Women
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea that liking science and being socially adept are not mutually exclusive. The individuals in the conversation share their personal experiences and opinions on the matter, with some highlighting the stereotype portrayed by media and others emphasizing the importance of finding balance in life. Overall, the conversation encourages not conforming to stereotypes and being comfortable with one's interests and pursuits.
AlexES16
Well personally i like girls, and i like them a lot and i also like math and physics and want to become a Electrical Engineer. I don't why the media portraits as if you are smart in sicience you must be dumb in social relationships. For me life is about finding balance so why can't you be balanced in that to?, comon military careers make you be in boot camp, construction workers work like 12 hours and also other kind of workers.

Wow i like science but i also like women! and i wana go for both!

So what you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Keep laying pipe.

AlexES16 said:

So what you think?

I think that you shouldn't reveal to your women, that they are on an equal par with science. :rofl:

KalamMekhar said:
Keep laying pipe.

Well mister WW2 famous general image dude xD well my english is not so good but i think that is kinda funy?

stevenb said:
I think that you shouldn't reveal to your women, that they are on an equal par with science. :rofl:

Well amazing point there, let's say that i am doing a sacrifice for this topic to be in the public debate xD

I think socially awkward people go into sciences thinking they can cloister themselves from the world and not have to talk to people. So it's not a matter of the field making people socially strange, it's socially strange people going into the field!

Pengwuino said:
I think socially awkward people go into sciences thinking they can cloister themselves from the world and not have to talk to people. So it's not a matter of the field making people socially strange, it's socially strange people going into the field!

Good point men. Poor dudes don't know that they are in part wasting their lives and make bad name to fun science dudes and dudas xD

AlexES16 said:
Good point men. Poor dudes don't know that they are in part wasting their lives and make bad name to fun science dudes and dudas xD

Let them know that. You'll go far

Office_Shredder said:
Let them know that. You'll go far

Well maybe everyone has to finds its way out of missery

KalamMekhar said:
Keep laying pipe.

Quoting because this made my day.

zomgwtf said:
Quoting because this made my day.

Sorry for my ignorance but what means "laying the pipe" i think is something like keep f...ordcompany?

I think it's not a matter of the field making people socially strange.

AlexES16 said:
So what you think?

I think these types of threads are utterly stupid. Not to bash you OP, but we get this all the time.

But seriously reread the OP and consider from an objective viewpoint how uncorrelated things are, and therefore how pointless this thread is. There is nothing in the 'scientists rule book' that says you have to not like girls, and if you do you can't become a scientist.

"I'm a scientist, but I like girls"
"I'm a builder, but I like books"
"I'm a cage fighting champion, but I enjoy flower pressing"

What you like has nothing at all to do with academic/employment pursuits.

If your point was specifically about the media, they are portraying a stereotype, they KNOW they are portraying a stereotype. So why post a thread about it on the internet.

It's only the same as portraying anyone who sails on a boat as a homosexual in bell bottomed trousers singing a popular village people song. everyone KNOWS that's a ridiculous stereotype so no one goes on navy forums making a fuss.

Haha, again I like the Chrisxx post, "So what do you think?"...Who gives a flying f**k what I think bud "What do YOU think?" you like girls, well then do em. Study, take your exam, go to a party, hit on some girls, see what happens

Ignore the steriotypes. If you can talk to girls they probably won't stop talking to you if you are likable and then find out you are an electrical engineer. I can just see it now. She's thinking to herself "I like him, but he is too smart. He might even be successful in the future. Better brake it off now... If only he had said that he delivered pizza."

I don't believe the field turns you into the stereotype, rather the field is populated with some measure of the stereotype. As in all things with the opposite sex, be a decent man, make friends, and have a good time when it moves beyond friendship. If you have trouble with that, it's not the fault of engineering, and if you're a stud, it's not a credit to engineering.

I would add, pipe-laying aside, in any male-dominated field it's important to remember that taking the advice from other men in the field exclusively can lead to a skewed view. For instance, aside from the joys of laying that pipe (and it is excellent), there is also the notion of an actual relationship; just keep friends outside of the field you're in. DO NOT BECOME A MONK OF YOUR FIELD.

xxChrisxx said:
I think these types of threads are utterly stupid. Not to bash you OP, but we get this all the time.

But seriously reread the OP and consider from an objective viewpoint how uncorrelated things are, and therefore how pointless this thread is. There is nothing in the 'scientists rule book' that says you have to not like girls, and if you do you can't become a scientist.

"I'm a scientist, but I like girls"
"I'm a builder, but I like books"
"I'm a cage fighting champion, but I enjoy flower pressing"

What you like has nothing at all to do with academic/employment pursuits.

If your point was specifically about the media, they are portraying a stereotype, they KNOW they are portraying a stereotype. So why post a thread about it on the internet.

It's only the same as portraying anyone who sails on a boat as a homosexual in bell bottomed trousers singing a popular village people song. everyone KNOWS that's a ridiculous stereotype so no one goes on navy forums making a fuss.

hey dude, don't be so bad shoot, its just a thread and i think randomness and stupidty have its place. You aregumented well but you sound pissed unnecessary.

Pattonias said:
Ignore the steriotypes. If you can talk to girls they probably won't stop talking to you if you are likable and then find out you are an electrical engineer. I can just see it now. She's thinking to herself "I like him, but he is too smart. He might even be successful in the future. Better brake it off now... If only he had said that he delivered pizza."

hahaha good one there.

nismaratwork said:
I don't believe the field turns you into the stereotype, rather the field is populated with some measure of the stereotype. As in all things with the opposite sex, be a decent man, make friends, and have a good time when it moves beyond friendship. If you have trouble with that, it's not the fault of engineering, and if you're a stud, it's not a credit to engineering.

I would add, pipe-laying aside, in any male-dominated field it's important to remember that taking the advice from other men in the field exclusively can lead to a skewed view. For instance, aside from the joys of laying that pipe (and it is excellent), there is also the notion of an actual relationship; just keep friends outside of the field you're in. DO NOT BECOME A MONK OF YOUR FIELD.

Thanks a lot for the advice =)

I think that part of this stereotype comes from the general populations disinterest in science and math subjects. Your average joe off the street probably hates math, for the most part. So anyone who actually enjoys math or science is cast apart from mainstream society and classified as a geek or nerd or whatnot and given these associations.

It's just a stereotype and it doesn't mean anything. Whatever gives you enjoyment in life is up to you. Don't let stereotypes get in the way of that. You don't have to fit into just one category.

vasel said:
I think that part of this stereotype comes from the general populations disinterest in science and math subjects. Your average joe off the street probably hates math, for the most part. So anyone who actually enjoys math or science is cast apart from mainstream society and classified as a geek or nerd or whatnot and given these associations.

It's just a stereotype and it doesn't mean anything. Whatever gives you enjoyment in life is up to you. Don't let stereotypes get in the way of that. You don't have to fit into just one category.

thanks

xxChrisxx said:

xxChrisxx, it seems you are beginning to make a habit of telling posters that https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2806007&postcount=9".

Not really in the PF spirit.

Perhaps you've become bored with inquisitivity? I wonder if there are science fora out there where the users don't clutter it up with all their ... questions ... :wink:

No real need to respond. Just food for thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scientists just don't have much to say to plebeians. Amongst their own kind, they are usually quite social and even charming.

DaveC426913 said:
xxChrisxx, it seems you are beginning to make a habit of telling posters that https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2806007&postcount=9".

I mean really... if you had to boil down the OP down to a sengle sentence it would go like this.

"I'm a scientist, but scientists are protrayed as people who don't like girls by the media, but I like girls. What do you think?"

OP asked for opinions and I gave it. I could have just said, scientists/engineers are humans, some humans like girls, some don't. The media tends to overplay stereotypes pay no heed to it.

My original response was meant to be a light hearted mocking of threads like this, not a bashing of the OP in particular. Hance the references to in the navy and flower pressing cage fighters.

I still stand by my opinion that, I think threads that are along the lines of "Do X do Y?" are utterly ridiculous.

Not really in the PF spirit.

On that note, I do feel kind of bad about the other thread as that WAS bashing the OP. It was a fairly bad day at work and my patience was chronically thin, I was going to delete my posts when I got home but the thread was locked by that time.

Toss away that pocket protector and free yourself! Girls will disagree with you no matter what your profession. The trick is to allow them to make the first assertion. You then mildly disagree, and permit them the pleasure of ripping your throat out. They will get all maternal after that and you can feed them the berries remaining in you good hand.

Chronos said:
Toss away that pocket protector and free yourself! Girls will disagree with you no matter what your profession. The trick is to allow them to make the first assertion. You then mildly disagree, and permit them the pleasure of ripping your throat out. They will get all maternal after that and you can feed them the berries remaining in you good hand.

That is so jaded!... and absolutely true. :biggrin:

Why do I have to sacrifice my pocket to the bane that is ink stains just to talk to women?...jk

I always thought pocket protectors were a movie joke until I actually saw one at staples. My step-dad brought me up with the knowledge that if he ever caught me using the front pocket of my dress shirts to actually hold things he would mercilessly ridicule me. He also warned me of the trap that is short-sleeve button up shirts... If it's that hot, wear a polo he insists.

The other day I met a guy wearing a short sleeve button up with a front pocket full of pins warded by a pocket protector. If you are at this point my friend you have fully embraced the stereotype and made it your own, as this man had. He also had on pleaded khakis that were too loose with a embroidered leather belt that was way too long. He folded this around in an efficient, but unflattering knot. *sigh* Oh, how the women must swoon.

If anyone reading this fits this description, don't be instulted. Just go to JCPenny, walk up to the clerk and say "Fix me?".

Pattonias said:
Why do I have to sacrifice my pocket to the bane that is ink stains just to talk to women?...jk

I always thought pocket protectors were a movie joke until I actually saw one at staples.

Pocket protectors must be a scientist thing, as an engineer I keep a pencil behind my ear :tongue2:. 'Tis where all the cool kiddies keep their stationery.

In my work I can't take a software developer seriously if they are a normally functioning human being. Fortunately management makes sure to keep such people out of the work environment, but it's unavoidable when dealing with business associates.

The average human being does not know how to develop software, therefore normal people are bad software developers.
We might be on to something here

Office_Shredder said:
The average human being does not know how to develop software, therefore normal people are bad software developers.
We might be on to something here

:rofl: I like your satire on logic there.

There is also the idea that a person can become abnormal as a direct result of becoming a software developer. I'm not a software guy really, but before I started using modern modeling tools for science and engineering (Matlab/Simulink, Mathmatica/Maple etc), I would write my own simulation tools in FORTRAN and C. There were periods of time when I would work for 16 hrs per day for weeks at a time to develop a simulation tool as quickly as possible. During these periods, my mind was significantly affected. I actually started to think in code, rather than my native English language. Obviously, my ability to interact with people, which isn't outstanding to begin with, was significantly impaired during these times. Honestly, it was a little scary.

Last edited:
AlexES16 said:
Well personally i like girls, and i like them a lot and i also like math and physics and want to become a Electrical Engineer. I don't why the media portraits as if you are smart in sicience you must be dumb in social relationships. For me life is about finding balance so why can't you be balanced in that to?, comon military careers make you be in boot camp, construction workers work like 12 hours and also other kind of workers.

So what you think?

facepalm o:)

we really need a facepalm smiley.

[PLAIN]http://www.intpcentral.com/uploads/facepalm1.gif

Or

http://forums.ironfistclan.com/images/smilies/facepalm.gif

[URL]http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/images/smilies/facepalm.gif[/URL]

Pick your favorite one and save the URL

nismaratwork said:
in any male-dominated field it's important to remember that taking the advice from other men in the field exclusively can lead to a skewed view.

Well, as a woman in physics I must say, I noticed no exclusivity to men in the topic of discussion.
That aside, who cares about the biased media, anyway? Only sheep hang on their every word.

If you are an intelligent and fun guy, I'm sure you'll attract the same. I hope that's what you're looking for because you will get bored with your spouse real quick otherwise.
If you want a dumb bimbo, then worry... they may not be interested in an intelligent person, or you may not have much to talk about and lose interest.
If you want a partner in life, find your match and she will also realize the stupid stereotypes out there, as well.
Believe it or not, there are plenty of intelligent, fun and ATTRACTIVE women in this field, contrary to popular belief!