Actual Distance Between Atoms of an Ideal Gas

In summary, a project concerning the distance between particles in an ideal gas system was discussed. It was mentioned that 1 mole of a gas has approximately 10^24 molecules and occupies about 22 liters at STP. This results in an average spacing between molecules of 3*10^-9 m or 30 angstroms. It was noted that this distance is dependent on temperature and the Ideal Gas Law can be used to calculate it for different values of pressure and temperature. Additionally, a mean free path calculator was suggested as a resource for determining average intermolecular spacing. It was also mentioned that nitrogen has little deviation from ideality and at 760mm Hg, 273 K, and a molecular diameter of 2.
hawflakes
Hi, I am working on a project in which I need to know the distance between the particles in an ideal gas system. I have tried searching (google) for it but was unable to come with any actual values, just general terms. Can anyone refer me to where I might find this? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
1 mole of a gas has ~ 10^24 molecules and occupies about 22 liters (or 22 dm^3) at STP. So, the average spacing between molecules is roughly the cube root of 22*10^-24 dm ~ 3*10^-8 dm = 3*10^-9 m or about 30 angstroms or 3 nm.

Note : This distance is a function of temperature. Use the Ideal Gas Law to figure out for other P,T values.

The mean free path calculator here also gives average intermolecular spacing.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/kinetic/menfre.html#c3

I know that Nitrogen deviates little from ideality over a fair range of temperatures and pressures...so here goes (now using this calculator, to double check):

At 760mm Hg, 273 K and molecular diameter of 2.0 A (2.0 * 10^-10 m), which is the diameter of a N2 molecule, the calculator gives 3.3 nm...close enough to my guess. :smile:

Last edited:
Thank you!

What is the actual distance between atoms of an ideal gas?

The actual distance between atoms of an ideal gas varies depending on the temperature and pressure of the gas. In general, the average distance between atoms is much larger than the size of the atoms themselves.

How is the actual distance between atoms of an ideal gas calculated?

The actual distance between atoms of an ideal gas can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas. This equation can be rearranged to solve for the volume, which can then be used to calculate the distance between atoms.

What factors affect the actual distance between atoms of an ideal gas?

The actual distance between atoms of an ideal gas is primarily affected by temperature and pressure. As the temperature of a gas increases, the average distance between atoms increases. Similarly, as pressure increases, the distance between atoms decreases.

Why is the actual distance between atoms of an ideal gas important to understand?

The actual distance between atoms of an ideal gas is important to understand because it helps explain the behavior of gases and their properties. It also plays a crucial role in many scientific and technological applications, such as in the design of gas storage containers and chemical reactions.

Can the actual distance between atoms of an ideal gas be measured directly?

No, the actual distance between atoms of an ideal gas cannot be measured directly. This is because the atoms in a gas are constantly moving and their exact positions cannot be determined. However, it can be calculated using various equations and theories.