How to Solve a Pair Annihilation Problem for the Energy of Resulting Particles?

In summary, the group discusses solving a pair annihilation problem involving a positron and electron and the resulting particles, photons. They suggest using the relativistic version of kinetic energy and solving for gamma, then using the relativistic equation for momentum and finally the equation for energy. However, they also mention the need for more information and suggest using conservation of energy and momentum for collision problems.
CollectiveRocker
Does anyone know how to solve a pair annihilation problem ( positron and electron), for the energy of the resulting particles, in this case photons?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I would believe that many people here can do that, perhaps even myself.

We certainly do, but we don't do other people's homework here. Try asking your particular problem in the homework help forum, along with some information on how far you got and where you got stuck.

I attempted to use the relativistic version of kinetic energy: mc^2(gamma - 1), and solved for gamma. I then put that answer into the relatistic equation for momentum, p = gamma * mv; took that answer and put it into E = pc. That is where i got confused, for the answer was incorrect. The thing which throws off the entire problem is that the electron is at rest when the positron hits it. Any advice?

We need more information than this to help you. What quantities are you given and what are you asked to determine?

And keep in mind that collision-problems are solved using conservation of energy and momentum

regards
marlon

I have solved the problem with conservation of energy and momentum. Thank you fellas.

1. What is pair annihilation?

Pair annihilation is a process in particle physics where a particle and its antiparticle collide and mutually annihilate, producing energy in the form of photons or other particles.

2. How does pair annihilation occur?

Pair annihilation occurs when a particle and its antiparticle come into close proximity and interact through the strong, weak, or electromagnetic force. This results in the conversion of their masses into energy, according to Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2.

3. What is the significance of pair annihilation in the field of physics?

Pair annihilation is a fundamental process in particle physics that helps us understand the nature of matter and antimatter. It is also a crucial phenomenon in high energy particle collisions, such as those that occur in particle accelerators.

4. Can pair annihilation occur between any particle and its antiparticle?

Yes, pair annihilation can occur between any particle and its antiparticle as long as they have the same mass and opposite charge. This includes particles such as electrons and positrons, protons and antiprotons, and quarks and antiquarks.

5. Are there any practical applications of pair annihilation?

While pair annihilation is mainly studied in the context of theoretical and experimental particle physics, it also has some practical applications. For example, positron emission tomography (PET) uses the annihilation of positrons and electrons to produce images of the body's internal structure.