Understanding Energy in Annihilation: Proton-Antiproton vs. Neutron-Antineutron

In summary, the proton antiproton annihilation at rest releases 1.88 GeV energy, while the energy released by neutron antineutron annihilation goes into the energy of particles produced in the final state, mostly pi mesons. The two photon decay in this process is rare, and the overall energy release is 1.8 GeV, which is the rest energy of two nucleons.
DaveSmith
Hi there guys, this is my first post
I've just completed my first couple of semesters in BS in Applied physics, and Annihilation really amazes me, My question is

The proton antiproton annihilation at rest releases some 1.88 GeV energy
http://www.fnal.gov/pub/inquiring/questions/antimatter1.html

But does neutron antineutron annihilation releases 1.8 GeV energy overall or with each of the two photons it produces have 1.8 GeV energy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron-antineutron_annihilation [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The energy released by proton antiproton annihilation or neutron antineutron annihilation goes into the energy of particles that are produced in the final state. The two photon decay is rare. Most of the time the final particles are mesons.

Yes but can you refer to the wikipedia link I've given and narrate the energy release part in neutron-antineutron annihilation? Is it 1.8 GeV overall or with each of the two photons releasing 1.8 GeV seperately?

Meir Achuz said:
The energy released by proton antiproton annihilation or neutron antineutron annihilation goes into the energy of particles that are produced in the final state. The two photon decay is rare. Most of the time the final particles are mesons.

So you'd have rapid decay to electrons, photons, and neutrinos... or just photons and electrons?

DaveSmith said:
Yes but can you refer to the wikipedia link I've given and narrate the energy release part in neutron-antineutron annihilation? Is it 1.8 GeV overall or with each of the two photons releasing 1.8 GeV seperately?
It is 1.8 GeV overall, which is the rest energy of two nucleons.

nismaratwork said:
So you'd have rapid decay to electrons, photons, and neutrinos... or just photons and electrons?
The rapid decay is mostly to pi mesons.

Meir Achuz said:
The rapid decay is mostly to pi mesons.

Ooooh... right. OK, I can take pion decay from there... thanks Meir Achuz!

Yes of course...thanks Meir Achuz

1. How does annihilation occur between protons and antiprotons?

In annihilation, a proton and antiproton come into contact and annihilate each other, resulting in the release of energy in the form of photons. The process involves the conversion of mass into energy according to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2. The protons and antiprotons are made up of quarks and antiquarks respectively, and when they come into contact, they annihilate each other and produce high-energy photons.

2. How is energy released in the annihilation of protons and antiprotons?

In annihilation, energy is released when the mass of the protons and antiprotons is converted into energy. This process is governed by Einstein's equation, E=mc^2, where E represents energy, m represents mass, and c is the speed of light. When the protons and antiprotons annihilate each other, their masses are converted into energy, resulting in the release of high-energy photons.

3. What is the difference between proton-antiproton and neutron-antineutron annihilation?

The main difference between proton-antiproton and neutron-antineutron annihilation is the particles involved. In proton-antiproton annihilation, two particles with opposite charges (proton and antiproton) come into contact and annihilate each other, resulting in the release of energy. In neutron-antineutron annihilation, two particles with the same charge (neutron and antineutron) come into contact and annihilate each other, also resulting in the release of energy. Additionally, the mass of the particles involved also affects the amount of energy released.

4. How is annihilation used in practical applications?

Annihilation has many practical applications in fields such as medical imaging, energy production, and particle physics research. In medical imaging, positron emission tomography (PET) scans use the annihilation of positrons (antimatter particles) in the body to produce images that can help diagnose diseases. In energy production, antimatter can potentially be used as a highly efficient and clean source of energy. In particle physics research, annihilation is used to study the fundamental building blocks of matter and explore the laws of physics.

5. Can annihilation be reversed or stopped?

Annihilation is a fundamental process governed by the laws of physics, and it cannot be reversed or stopped. Once particles come into contact and annihilate each other, the energy released cannot be converted back into mass. However, it is possible to control and manipulate the process of annihilation, which is essential in practical applications such as particle accelerators and nuclear reactors.