Is this static equilibrium problem even solvable?

In summary, Dory helped Tiny Tim solve a problem they were having. Tiny Tim thanks Dory and offers to repay the favor.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Okay, me and my friend have been working on this problem for a while and it just been a headache catalyst for us...your help is called upon, people of the internet.

Homework Statement

A system of weights is in equilibrium.

Calculate the distance "s" where
WD = 5[N]
WF = 5 [N]
WE = 8 [N]
a = 4 [m]
Ignore radius of pulley

((The answer is 5.33 according to the book, and the clue is to do sum of all forces on Y axis...but nothing comes up to me))

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/3186/71090239.jpg

((The diagram is a little askew because of the scanjob it's supposed to be straight))

Homework Equations

None provided.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempts led nowhere as we have 1 distance in meters, and the force that's applied on the string (in Newtons). We have no angle, no nothing! Is this even solvable? We're supposed to be studying basics of technical mechanics (sum of all moments/forces+sin/cos trignometry)...nothing too fancy... so if there is something too fancy it's probably out of our league..but let me know how to go about this please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Dory! :wink:
Dory said:
We have no angle …

That's because the question asks you to find the angle! :rolleyes:

(Well, to find s, and you know the tangent of the angle is a/s) …

Go! :smile:

Hello tiny-tim!

Yes, we're supposed to find the angle, BUT we only have 1 length! The other component is of force, not length. Can't convert force to meters. Stuck. Did you actually manage to get to the answer or are you just saying what seems logical?

uhhh? :confused:

they give you three forces, and you need them to be in equilibrium …

(and if they'd specifically asked you for the angle, they wouldn't even need to give you the length "a")

… get on with it!​

Ah...I get it... so the hypotenuse is the side weights (5+5)...the opposite is the middle weight (8)... I was being stupid...got it...

Arcsin (8/10) = 53.13 degrees

tan(53.13) x 4 = 5.33 [m]

:)

Correct! :smile:

but you didn't need to find the angle at all, you could just have used Pythagoras, and still got (4/3) x 4 …

try it! :wink:

I just noticed I forget to say thanks...thanks A LOT! You're incredible t-tim. Second problem you've helped me figure out the answer to!

Pythagoras eh...you mean like this?:

8^2 + X^2 = 10^2

X = 6

4 x (8/6) = 5.33

Ah...yesss :) like that. Indeed. Either way, I got that triangle in my pocket!

1. Is there a specific formula or method for solving static equilibrium problems?

Yes, there are various formulas and methods that can be used to solve static equilibrium problems, such as the equations of equilibrium, free body diagrams, and the principle of moments.

2. How do I determine if a problem can be solved using static equilibrium?

In order for a problem to be solvable using static equilibrium, there must be a balance of forces and torques acting on the system, and all external forces and torques must be known.

3. Can static equilibrium problems involve more than two dimensions?

Yes, static equilibrium problems can involve multiple dimensions, such as three-dimensional structures or systems with forces acting in different directions.

4. Are there any assumptions or simplifications made in solving static equilibrium problems?

In some cases, assumptions or simplifications may be made in order to solve a static equilibrium problem, such as treating objects as point masses or neglecting certain forces that may be negligible.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving static equilibrium problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving static equilibrium problems include forgetting to include all external forces and torques, neglecting to account for the direction of forces, and failing to properly set up and solve the equations of equilibrium.